bald patch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
Hi,

Im really hoping someone could help me. I was moving my 2 femalebunnies so I could clean their hutch when I noticed Ellie had a baldpatch on her back, about the size of a kids fist.

The skin isnt raised, red or look abnormal in anyway.

I know they are moulting but is this normal?

here are some piccies

DSC00904r.jpg

DSC00906r.jpg

Thanks

hmm...it could just be shedding but its an awfully large patch.

I had something similar happen to my bunnies about a year ago. Basilhad a large area down his spine that was losing hair. I noticed Maxitching his ears. The vet checked for mites, but couldnt find any. Shesaid we should treat for them just in case. I used a small animalflea/tick/mite spray thats sold in pet stores and it worked like acharm.

I would watch for itching and such. You might want to consult your vet just in case.

thanks Haley,

I dont know if this makes a difference but a few weeks ago I noticedthat Furby had a huge bald patch on her hind leg which has now filledout completely.

The first day I can get them to the vet is Friday so I might just make an appointment tomorrow
Just been checking Ellie again. She has reallyshort fur coming through but the patch looks worse because their furstarts to come through white and just the ends are brown.

hmmm Im not sure because Ive never had rexes, I dont really know how much they shed.

has it ever been this bad before? is she itching at all? how does the other girlie look?

Haley, they are not itching at all! I have had aclose look to see if I could see anything on them but I couldnt. Icouldnt see any bald patches on Furby.

I think I will make an appointment with the vet but the quickest I can go is Friday (due to work).

Maybe that will give me a chance to see if anything else is going on:(

I ended up spending too much time with them thismorningand forgot the vet tends to be open on aSunday till 12. DOH!

I started grooming Ellie and she is loosing a lot of hair.

Im getting worried. I dont know if I am imagining it but she seems tojust sit there a lot of the time, but I think thats how she always is.She definately gets up for treats.

But I am now getting worried. Any suggestions as to what it could be and how to treat it?

And when I take Ellie to the vet should I also take Furby so she can be checked out?:(

I'm not saying you shouldn't take her to thevet, but I have had rabbits do that during molt before, and it alwaysfills back in when the molt is done. If the skin doesn't lookirriatated, and she isn't itchy, I doubt it's anything to worry about.Oh, and so long as there is no wierd dandruff, that can mean mites.

thats what I have bene thinking. The problemwith Ellie is she doesnt really let me touch her. Dont get me wrong, ifI have food in my hand she will munch away or will coming running to mesearching but just wont let me pet her.

I think I could see new hair growing in but I think I would rather just be safe.

I have been known to panic a wee bit about the bunnies. They have that wierd affect on me!:D

Ooooh, I have a mini rex and their fur is veryvelvettee soft, when she moults, its a lot of very fine hairs stickingout of her coat all over, but I haven't ever seen that. Hhmm,could be just a major moult w/ a possible allergy, considering the lackof hair in the affected area? ;)

Just thought of something, it also kinda looks like a scratch fromanother animal, like claw marks, are there any others around and maybea tiff took place? :ponder:

Latest posts

Back