Bald Bunny at our Shelter: Help!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have problems not having our own vet at my shelter too.

The vets in our town rotate as volunteer vets one clinic for 1 week but they have all kind of stipulations and rules so a person can't just spontaneously take in an animal.

If the condition begins to improve on its own then you most likely can attribute it to diet or just improper living conditions.
I hope they get better...they really are sweet looking bunnies. :bunny19

We have problems not having our own vet at my shelter too.

The vets in our town rotate as volunteer vets one clinic for 1 week but they have all kind of stipulations and rules so a person can't just spontaneously take in an animal.

If the condition begins to improve on its own then you most likely can attribute it to diet or just improper living conditions.
I hope they get better...they really are sweet looking bunnies. :bunny19

I named the big red bald bunny Rory. I visited him at the shelter this morning, and he looked a lot better. I was surprised that a few days could make a visible difference.

He was all stretched out relaxing when I arrived, which is a miracle in and of itself since there are 100 dogs barking in the next room.

He was very interested in the fresh produce and hay I gave him, and it looked like he'd finally started in on his pellets, too.

And, his fur looked better, and he looked slightly less emaciated.

I am wondering--if we accept the hypothetical explanation that these bunnies had just nibbled each other's fur off, how long will it take to grow out now that they can't anymore?

Hope is eating her head off and looking pretty well today, but she still looks moth-eaten. I am wondering how long it'll take for her to recover her fur if there is no other problem.

You know, if it's diet or each other doing it, I would think it would start growing back now but how long it will take depends on each rabbit and their health and breed.

Bo - my mini-rex - went through a VERY WEIRD molt this year. I personally think he had mites from our wild rabbit. I didn't know not to, and gave them ivermectin paste and I think that's what stopped it (clover was also molting heavily at the time) and it fixed the problem....... with that - I think that he finished losing the hair he was losing, molted and is FINALLY getting his lovely coat back - not even yet, but it's starting to even out.

If their fur starts looking less dry and stuff that's the main thing. If they look healthy in the eyes, and groom, eat, etc., they will grow the hair back unless it's mites/ringworm.... they should be fine.

I'd say no sooner than a month tho.

MiaP wrote:
I am wondering--if we accept the hypothetical explanation that these bunnies had just nibbled each other's fur off, how long will it take to grow out now that they can't anymore?

Hope is eating her head off and looking pretty well today, but she still looks moth-eaten. I am wondering how long it'll take for her to recover her fur if there is no other problem.

It probably will take a few months for the rabbits to get their coat back to how it should be, providing they don't have any underlying health problems due to the way they were living.

The barbering compulsion could have been from stress alone, but if thats the case I'd worry about possible blockages the rabbits could show signs of in the future.

The white rabbit could be gorgeous! In a way he reminds me of this one:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30242&forum_id=7

but I'm assuming the fur issue is more from the lack of care than genetics, right?

Yes, I think Paul Bunyan's "wavy" coat was totally due to barbering. He has been adopted, so unless his adopter sends photos, we'll never know.

Rory has been getting medical care at the shelter, such as it is, for some sores on his leg--probably from wire floors in his previous home. He looks incredibly better, here's a photo I took tonight:

NewRory.jpg

He is leaving with a rescue tomorrow. They have better access to rabbit-safe meds than the shelter, which was using a second or third choice antibiotic, I think.

My foster, Hope, is doing much better, from an emotional standpoint. She doesn't look perfectly fluffy yet, but she plays and flops, and looks forward to us approaching. Here is a recent photo of her:

HopeBetter.jpg

HopeUp.jpg

What a difference from a few weeks ago! They look wonderful! Blessing to them and their new Bunny Slaves (including you!).:hug: Looks like the New Year will be happier for all of them! :party:

Hi, MiaP!

I was thinking of Hope a while ago, I don't know why, herexpression really touched me in thephotos you posted (as well asRory's),and just wanted to ask how is she doing, physically andemotionally? She's such a lovely bunny! I guess that since Rory was moved, you probably haven't heard anything about him also?

Marietta

She is doing well, although her hair isn't growing in as quickly as Rory's did. She is now queen of a large ex-pen setup in my tv room. She no longer has the pained look in her eyes, and she stands up so I can pet her nose when I approach the pen. She does not, however, hop over and sit on my lap. Baby steps....

Thank you for asking about her!

I'm so glad to hear that she's recovering well. Don't worry about her fur, it's gonna be growing back before you know it. And it's such a lovely coloured fur! When she regains her beauty, I'd love to see how she really looks, so, please send a photo! The emotional part is more difficult, but, under your good care and love, she's already happy and relaxed. I'm sure she'll turn to be a loving, cuddly bunny!

You see, Hope was a lucky name after all!!

Marietta

Back