Baking Powder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole_Lucky

Reaction score
I've decided to bring Lucky in for the rest ofthe winter, as it's getting much too cold outside. I put his cagedownstairs but am starting to notice..his smell..i try to clean hiscage as often as i can, but I only notice it when I'm near his cage.Nevertheless, I was wondering what kind of anti-odor products i coulduse. I usually put a peice of cardboard underneath his bedding (justhelps to absorb better). What if I sprinkled a bit of baking powder onit, and covered it with his usual bedding? Would it be safe? I knowpeople put baking powder in their fridges, or even their shoes toprevent smell..just a thought. Or is there another healthy alternative?

Cheers,

Nicole*

One problem that the cardboard may be posing isthe fact that if it is absorbing urine, then it is also going to holdin the odor. If the odors and urine are trapped in the cage, then notonly are you going to have a cage that smells strongly of rabbit, butthe ammonia from the urine could cause problems for your bunny, such asirritated eyes.

I've found that the best thing for cleaning a cage is vinegar. It'sgreat for eradicating any urine odors (and my rabbit Raph has verystrong urine...and he refuses to use his litter box). I change hisblankets daily and wash the bottom of the cage down with vinegar/wateronce a week. And for my other rabbit, Anna, who does use her litterbox, I scoop it out daily and clean it with vinegar and replace it withnew litter about once a week.

Vinegar works great! Also, what areyou using for litter? It doesn't sound veryabsorbent. I love wood pellets, as do many othershere. I buy the ones that are made for horsestalls. It's the most absorbent, best odor-controlling litterI've ever found. A name brand is Feline Pine, although thestuff from feed stores is much cheaper.

yes, the bedding i'm usuing now isn't veryabsorbant at all. what type of wood is it that you use? Apparently, iheard that pine and red cedar woods are very bad for a buns health..

They are compressed wood pellets, normally usedfor horse bedding. They are completly safe, as during the manufacturingprocess the wood is heated up to burn off all the phenols (which is thedangerous stuff in wood shavings), and then compress into wood pellets.

You can normally find them in any feed store.

This thread has some more information about it:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15881&forum_id=1&highlight=wood+pellets

Changing your bedding should help with the smell. Bunny peeis very potent, so unabsorbant litter smells really bad. Butvery absorbent litter barely smells at all.

--Dawn

Thanks everyone! Dawn, I was reading through thethread, and a lot of people said the wood pellets were made of pine. Ithought pine was really bad for a buns respiratory system and whatnot?Or is it ok because they got rid of all the bad stuff..?

Nicole_Lucky wrote:
I thought pine was really bad for a buns respiratory systemand whatnot? Or is it ok because they got rid of all the bad stuff..?
Yes, that's exactly it...the wood pelleted bedding made for horses hasbeen put through a process that extracts any harmful oils which couldcause respiratory problems, making it safe for rabbits. I've been usingMagnum pelleted wood bedding, and have used Woody Pet in the past aswell. It's wonderful to use, and very cheap...I pay around $6-$7 perbag (I believe a bag is around 40 lbs).

Yup, just like Bassetluv said! Duringthe process of making the pellets, all the harmful stuff is removed,leaving you with just a super absorbent materail. I find thatI don't even smell much woody smells once it's in the litter pan.

It smells a bit like wood when it's first taken out of the bag, butafter sitting in my rubber maid tub for a bit, no more smells.

--Dawn

Hi Aurora!

What brand of Wood Pellets are you using now?
Just wanted to findout how the Armstrong HorseComfort, $3.60 for 40 lbs. wasworking out.

Rainbows! :D

Latest posts

Back