BADBADBAD

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boonbear

Reaction score
This morning my new zealand white had diarrhea. It was still moving around, eating, and drinking. By 12, it was much more lethargic. I thought at first it was coiccia (did i spell that right?). I got some medicine, but wonder if it was to late. I am medicating the water of all my rabbits, but wonder what people think. You can look at it here:

It's still alive, but it doesn't seem like by very much.

Mucoid enteropathy is not uncommon in fryers. Clostridium is a common pathogen involved, so medicating the other young rabbits with a broad spectrum antibiotic is common practice.

Coccidia are often seen as a secondary symptom in ill rabbits, but are not always the cause of illness. (Commonly inhabit the intestinal systems of rabbits)

Most likely the electrolyte imbalance due to the explosive diarrhea has caused irreversible system damage in this case. Supportive therapy includes hydration.

Pam

Is this rabbit still alive and conscious.?

if so needs immediate care.. to the vet and right now

needs to have temp taken, warmed up if low temp, careful administration of subq fluids

I think that cholestyramine is used used to bind toxins of clostridum in the gut...also possibly Flagyl ..also probiotics
i would guess that this poor bun has passed but please let us know :nerves1
Horrifying and upsetting pic of this poor thing :cry1:

Maureen

Hi,
Thanks for the tips. Yes, the poor bunny is gone... I really feel bad. I really didn't research health before I got my rabbits. Bad mistake on my part. What and where is a good antibiotic? I have been hawking his cage mate every 30 minutes, and he is fine. I'm sorry for how bad that pic looks. It looks worse now that it's gone, but I was desperate for help. Just hoping an expert eye might see something I wouldn't recognize. I'm deleting the pic right after this post. Thanks again.

Sorry again for the bad photo.

are any of the other buns showing any symptoms of anything
problem is that you don't know what you are treating ...

how many rabbits do you have?

I have 4 now. They all seem fine. Eating, drinking, and moving well. They respond just fine to any movement or noise. All resist when I go to pick them up.

I deleted the photoin the first post

I realize now that you were upset and didn't know how the pic looked
can you take fecal material from the dead bun to a vet and have it examined?

we aren't vets

it would be best for a rabbit saavy vet to prescribe but if that isn't possible we may be able to help

in the meantime you need to take the cagemate out of the cage
scrub the cage with bleach and water and use a hose if possible to rinse throughly

anything that was around the sick bun needs to be cleaned in the same manner if possible

but you don't want to expose theodor of the bleach water to other buns

if you have only one other bun can you take her /him inside for awhile ?

I disagree with the decision to delete the photo because it was very important in being able to identify the illness, which I have seen a number of times. The photo showed a classic case of a common and dealy bacterial infection. I don't believe fecal examination is necessary in this case. There have been only a few pathogensidentified with this type of illness in young rabbits, with Clostridium being one of the most common. This was a new animal to the population, and stress probably played a role as well as the fact that these types of illnesses are generally seasonal.

This can be a helpful reference for anyone considering breeding, because this bacteria generally strikes younger rabbits and kills very quickly. There is usually no time to administer supportive care and in most instances the rabbit is already dead when found.

I wouldreplace the photo for educational purposes and mark the thread as very graphic.

Pam

Hi Pam

I am having trouble retrieving the photo so I asked boonbear to repost it again .
If she doesn't need to take the fecal in then what is the antibiotic that she should be treating the other 3 with ?

Maureen

Yeah, I deleted it from the internet. I didn't want to upset people, b/c it was a pretty sad to see. However, if you think it would help people in the future, I will replace it. I would prefer to d/l it to your site, since I don't want it in my photobucket, if that is okay with you.

How would I prevent or treat this?

boonbear wrote:
Yeah, I deleted it from the internet. I didn't want to upset people, b/c it was a pretty sad to see. However, if you think it would help people in the future, I will replace it. I would prefer to d/l it to your site, since I don't want it in my photobucket, if that is okay with you.

How would I prevent or treat this?

Tetracycline is often used because it's easy to administer. Complete prevention is not possible, however, limiting stress and providing excellent ventilation can help. This also has a tendency to be seasonal, and outbreaks generally cycle through, just as flu season does in humans.

Pam

boonbear wrote:
I would prefer to d/l it to your site, since I don't want it in my photobucket, if that is okay with you.
You can email it to me and I can post it.

[email protected]

Thank you.

Very sad. :(

sas :cry1:

They are all doing great. Eating and drinking very well. Apparently it wasn't very contagious.

I never got antibiotics. I treated them for coccidia. What type of antibiotic should I get and where can I get it?

Latest posts

Back