bad weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
just wondering, we're expecting possible ice andsuch. If we have a bad one and if we were to loose power,what is the best thing to do to keep Baby warm? She's aninside bunny. Just wondering.

oh Buck,

Have you forgotten how tempermentally she can be. I can pether, and if she's laying still, i can snuggle up to her. It'sfunny, my daughter and I were picking up some food for her and cameacross and intering Rabbit book. One picture showed this girlholding a flop earred bunny in her lap like a little kid. Itwas just sitting up and she was just clipping her nails. Wethought about buying the book and taking it home to show Baby and say,NOW LOOK, this is how you're suppose to act young lady.:p Can't help but love the little stinker though.

mmmmmm....put them in your shirt ;) (jk). That's how kits can be kept warm.

or

Bring them in bed and put them under the covers...they make good foot warmers, too. :p

Seriously...I'm thinking that a sleeping hutch/box full of straw/haywould suffice. And maybe a few black sunflower seeds and of courseplenty of timothy hay and water.

Down to 55 degrees the buns should be ok, but anything lower and Iwould be firing up a safealternate heat source. Keep in mindthe fumes and/or adequate ventilation.

We have a finished basement with a wood burning stove. We would justmove everybun downstairs and I keep a case of Duraflame logs on handjust for this kind of an emergency. I could keep it toasty for at least24 hours.

I'm actually more concerned about losing power/air conditioning duringthe summer. I'd probably end up taking them all to PetSmart until thepower came back :).

~Jim

Our power went off today. We havekerosene heaters in the house and rabbitry and I also have a lot ofkerosene lamps (provide some light as well as heat) throughout thehouse. Luckily, we weren't without power for very long --it's frigid here!

Pam

After the snow this past weekend I just happened to check the heating oil and we were almost on empty :shock:

It was Sunday and the oil company told me that they could not make adelivery unless we had no heat at all. He then said that we should beok if we run out, just bundle up and put extra blankets on the beds.

I said noooooooo, I need to keep my buns warm.

After he stopped laughing, he asked if I was kidding. I then realizedwhat he must have thought that I meant was my "tushie" thatIneeded to keep warm. I explained that I was concerned about keeping myrabbits warm. He laughed again.

He suggested buying 5 gallons of diesel fuel and putting it in the oiltank. He said that should lastuntil the next day. So we dugourselves out and ventured around in search of a gas station that solddiesel fuel.

In the end the oil company had to make a delivery to someone else onSunday so they stopped and filled our tank too. We had 3 gallons leftout of a 250 gallon tank. I'm certainly going to keep a closer eye onthe oil level from now on.

~Jim

Jim, do you have one of the level things on thetop of your tank? I had them put one on mine (like $12?) andit has been a true blessing! I can't tell you how many times we ran outof oil before I got that thing. I just automatically check itaround the 15th of each month and then if it's close or real low, Icall. We usually only have to fill our tank 2 x a year whichis nice, but this time it was $437!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!

Now, for the bunny ...... I would prepare for such events.Get a good box or something she can snuggle in and put some straw orhay in it. Maybe a blankie to go over it ? If she'snot one to cuddle.

When we were without electricity for a day due to ice, we just snuggledBo in a blankie...... he loved it. He likes to "burrow" inblankies anyhow, and loves to lay on us with a blankie onhim. He flops when we do that!

Bring him here to Australia, we are having hotdays! Is our summer and we been getting as high as 40 celcius, so he'llbe warm LOL, and we have the air conditioner going so won't be too hot,I'm sure Bindy and my family wouldn't mind bunnysitting :p

OK now that i'm back from la la land and thinking realisticaly, a boxwith lots of straw or a blanky would be a great idea, just change theblanky regularly :)

Back