Bad molt or skin issues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
Hello-

I have a dwarf rabbit named Bailee. He is currently going through a really heavy molt, which he has done before and I know is normal. However, he also has dandruff or skin flakes, specifically on his ears. It seems that he has been itching them a little more, but not much. I checked the skin on his body and there doesn't seems to be any flakes there, or lumps, or apparent irritation.

Is this normal during a molt? This is the first time I have seen this on him.

He is almost 4 years old, eats a good diet of pellets, fresh greens, hay, and some fruit. I am making sure to give him extra hay and plenty of water. Is there anything I could give him for his skin? or to help him through the molt?

Thanks, Lilly and Bailee-bun

ps. if it would be better, I could try to upload photos...

Can you watch the dandruff to see if they're 'moving'.

It could be a mite called walking dandruff if it's in a concentrated area and he's iching more then he would normally.

Just a suggestion, something I have seen on a rabbit before working at a clinic. Not sure if it has anything to do with the molt though.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

In general dandruff is not normal, so I would suspect mites. I don't know the treatments for mites off the top of my head, so hopefully someone else will stop by. A visit to the vet might be in order.

I can't remember which medication we prescribed, sorry!

But your vet would know, I believe we used a medication to fight off regular mites and it works with the walking dandruff mite as well.

From the update off the client it cleared up quickly.

Hmmm. I took a really close look at it and they really are just skin flakes. There is no movement at all from "them" on his body. I picked up a few just to look closely under a light and I am pretty sure they are just skin flakes. There aren't that many, just a few. Would there be a lot if they were mites?

Latest posts

Back