BAD Day, BAD Fight =(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband just called! There was another fight but now there is an injury, he said there is a cut above Enkeis eye. :(, I feel like a terrible bunny mom :(, I'm rushing home from work right now to take them both to the vet. After so many months of hard work I'm feeling so upset and devastated right now. Please wish me luck and to my buns that they both are ok :( thank you

Good luck! I hope the vet can help and is able to thoroughly check them both.

I think you need to look at separating them and also thinking about what you will do if they can't go back together (i.e. keep them next to each other so they can love through the bars, get each one a friend, etc).

I'm sorry this has happened. The truly are just being bunnies though, and these things do happen (and have happened to many of us).

I really hope you are ok and that the buns are ok too.

Keep us updated.
x

Thank you. I am home now. It looks like Enkei's right eye on the top, the edge of his eyelid was split. It's not bleeding, but its red. The vet said he can see them at 3pm, so I'm going to be heading out in about 20 minutes.

For now it looks like they will be taking a step backward. I am going to put the barrier back in their cage when they are in there together, so they can snuggle through the bars, but that's about it. I will still allow them to play together when I'm home, but I will for sure be supervising their time together a lot closer and make sure not to step away leaving them together even for a few minutes alone.

I really want these 2 buns to work out together, but if not, that will have to continue to be their arrangements.

I still feel so horrible though. I just knew, and I should have followed my instinct, that I should have put up that barrier when I left for work this morning. But I just assumed that because my husband was home it would be ok, sigh.

Well I'm off to put them in the carrier and get them to the vet, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Been there, mine had been bonded alittle over a year when it started. I originally had Teresa and Dallas. In time (few months) Connor joined them. Almost a year to when Connor joined them fights started.We were devasted and we thought about trying another bun with them. Teresa seemed to be starting it, we figured she was tired of always doing the grooming.

She got along with Chibi who was the one we were adding. As did the boys, but the boys and her just were not getting along. We worked hard but one bad fight with us there she bit Connor and Dallas pretty bad. Connor above the eye and Dallas had several bad bites onhis rear.For several days wekept checking them. Ithan found several severe bites on Teresa. (By the way we removed herright after that fight. I wasso upset about Connors eye.) Chibi ended up staying with the boys, so they became a new bonded trio.Sadly the fights weren't constant we just couldn't risk more injuries.

Teresa was than left alone. She seemed happy so we left it alone. With time we became sad because we know she had been happy with the boys. So we started trying her with Elvis and now they are happily bonded.

You have to know what is right for your bunnies and not just them but for you.A break may be best, give them time to recover and than maybe try again.

JadeIcing wrote:
You have to know what is right for your bunnies and not just them but for you.A break may be best, give them time to recover and than maybe try again.
Haha, I never thought of that until now. It's soo true, like you wouldn't like to be paired at work (or school) with someone you detest, yes you'd get along sometimes but then they'd eventually get on your nerves.

How are they? Hpow did it go at the vets?

It's learning curve having rabbits and part of that is learning to follow your gut instinct and not always what you feel is logically best or emotionally best.

Mistakes happen and all anyone can do is do their best to sort out what happens after, and that's exactly what you're doing. no one can fault you on that at all.

We've all done things with them that hindsight told us we shouldn't but we live and learn and it definitely sounds like you learnt. Bit of an adrenaline pumping way to learn though, and not fun for you at all.

I hope you are all ok today.

Hello, I just wanted to give an update.

I took them both to the vet, and Dori was fine, but Enkei needed a little surgical procedure. He had to be put under that the vet sutured up his eyelid. He should be healed up in about 2 weeks...my poor baby :(.

I talked to the director of the House Rabbit Society about the whole thing. She is a pro at bonding rabbits, it's pretty much a big chunk of her job lol, so I was hoping she'd call me. We were trying to pinpoint triggers. My husband was a genious, and though of a possible trigger. In the past couple of weeks hour apartment has been really warm and humid. We have the central air fan running 24/7 (not the AC just the fan), and anytime we leave the house we always leave a tower fan oscillating in front of their cage. However, the apartment still gets muggy even with windows open. At night its pretty warm too, but we try to turn on the AC periodically when we are home. This also coincides with the recent fights. So we are wondering if that might be a trigger, crankiness from the temperature. She did obviously recommend a break for them, having the cage split and not leaving them alone in the cage for a while. But she also didn't recommend completely separating them. She feels that even though they've had these fights, the fact that they still get along well during free roaming time, and they constantly groom each other, that they can be ok, they just need some more work.

When we got home we let Enkei rest alone on his side of the cage. Later on when we let them out the first thing Enkei wanted to do was run to Dori and put his head under her chin for grooming. She started grooming his forehead and head and he was in heaven, he just wanted to be comforted by her. My husband was cracking up, he is going back to the bun that hurt him to begin with, crazy rabbits. They are still a little nervous around each other here and there so I'm keeping a close eye on them.

I'm saddended by this whole thing because we just took a few steps back in the bonding process, but I'm not losing hope. Like you all said, live and learn, and now I know to follow my gut.

Thank you all for the great advice and well wishes :)

I just wanted to post a picture of my Enkei's injury all stitched up :(

2009_0723other0013.jpg

2009_0723other0015.jpg

I hope that your bunny gets better SDShorty.

My two rabbits are bonded and they love each other. I have seen one fight that they had. I scooped up Prince and I did get bit, not real hard. But I haven't seen any more fighting from Sweetie and Prince.

Next time your rabbits fight, try throwing a blanket over them, it might stop them from fighting, and you can separate them. That way you won't get scratches on yourself and/or bit.

Latest posts

Back