Bad And Good News For Bun Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Mr. Bun Bun, my holland lop mix, went to the vet today cause of his frequent sneezing and less active behavior. He's on meds to treat those issues thankfully! But as the vet examined him, it turns out he has a very possible case of testicular cancer. I was wondering why Bun Bun has 1 normal sized ball and the other is shriveled up. Turns out the vet said the normal sized one has a tumor inside!:shock: He actually said that the ball is larger than it should be, but it looks normal to me, it was the shriveled up one that was worrying me. Poor Bun! I cannot afford neutering right now, but unfortuantly, that's what's recommended right now. I hope Mr. Bun Bun can hold in there right now.

The sneezing is said to be a respiratory infection and he's on baytril for that. He was also diagnosed with arthritis and is on some kind medication for that(I forgot the name).
He's an old rabbit(almost 9 years old), and I hate thinking about that.

Do you think I should split up times when Bun Bun takes his his meds? Cause I gave him his baytril and arthritis meds at the same time and I think he got a side-effect, cause afterwards, I let him run around in my room and he peed all over the place. And this was not peeing behavior.
Bun Bun rarely pees in my room when running around outside his cage, if he needs to go, he hops into his cage and uses his litter box. When ever he pees outside the cage, it's usually in a corner. But this was alot of pee and it was strung out all over the place. Not in a corner, not in his litter box, just all over the place.

Do you think he did that peeing maybe because of all the squeezing and fondling the vet had to do or is it a side effect? Could it be cause I gave him both meds at the same time? If so, how long should he wait before taking another med after the other(say if he took baytril first - now how many mins/hours till he can take his arthritis meds?)He's been on baytril before with no issues, but this is his first time on the arthritis medication.

Regards,

SablePoint

i have a link to a spay and neuter form for people in ur state who need help with spay and neuter costs for their rabbits...maybe check into this ,cuz as u know getting him neutered is a must..:)..i hope he starts feelin better soon..
spay/neuter form

this form is for residents of MD, DC, VA and WV.

Would your vet allow you to pay it off little by little? I left testicular cancer(it was in my rat), because my vet wasn't happy with doing the surgery, and I couldn't get an appointment with the spca vet(who was comfortable with the surgery) for another two weeks.

My vet said she thought he'd been fine to wait that long, but he died in a week. And it can't have been a nice death. Please don't leave it. :)

Baytril tastes disgusting(taste it!), so maybe he was displaying his displeasure? Or he was upset by the vet visit? Hmm, the only arthritis medicine I know of is glucosamine chondroitin, but it's not likely to be that?

Anaira wrote:
Would your vet allow you to pay it off little by little? I left testicular cancer(it was in my rat), because my vet wasn't happy with doing the surgery, and I couldn't get an appointment with the spca vet(who was comfortable with the surgery) for another two weeks.

My vet said she thought he'd been fine to wait that long, but he died in a week. And it can't have been a nice death. Please don't leave it. :)

Baytril tastes disgusting(taste it!), so maybe he was displaying his displeasure? Or he was upset by the vet visit? Hmm, the only arthritis medicine I know of is glucosamine chondroitin, but it's not likely to be that?

[align=center]If it is baytril for bunnies it should taste like honey or something like that =) Sabriel loved when he was on baytril.

Whaaat? I've never had a bunny on baytril, but the stuff my rats get certainly ain't got no honey taste!

Well, that's interesting. Not that my rabbit will ever need baytril. He's not allowed to get sick! :p

There's flavoring they add to the baytril to make the animal take it easier. I had 2 buns take it and 1 got watermelon flavor and the other banana. The flavor is a good thing because they sure don't like it unflavored!

yea i got the liver flavor once from a non rabbit savvy vet ....try getting THAT flavor in a bun huh....
i know said u cant afford the surgery to have him neutered and its none of my stinkin business what you CAN AFFORD :)but i googled "rabbit spay and neuter Virginia"just to try and help u out and i found prices in the 65.00 range..thats pretty cheap.and with that form i put in my last post above 25.00 discount form ,,u could prob get it all done around 40 bucks...
dying of cancer is not the way ur gonna want ur little man to go.

is the arthritis meds actually a pain medicine? metacam by chance?..if so how long after he took the medicine did he pee like that>?

Yield wrote:
Anaira wrote:

[align=left]If it is baytril for bunnies it should taste like honey or something like that =) Sabriel loved when he was on baytril.

The vet would need to compound the baytril for you which costs a little extra (I think my vet charges $6 for compounding.) It does make the medicine go down easier![/align]

Bun Bun's arthritis medication is actually a pain killer called Metacam. He's not on it right now cause it's making him not drink and dehydrated and having nasty poop-brown bladder sludge!

I'm really hoping he'll recover from the urinary issue.

I tasted Baytil once. It was gross! It was bitter and chalky!I thought Baytril would have a flavor being pink(at least bubble gum or strawberry). Poor buns!

I think Bun Bun was having a bad hare day yesterday. He had Rocko's spray in his fur and was just grumpy. I've never seen him behave so poorly before! He even bit the vet's shirt when the vet wasn't looking and tried to bite his finger again while he was checking his mouth and he grunted too. He was jerking around the whole time and would not hold still - not even for the vet to hear his heart and lungs. I thought with his arthritis, he would hold still but he was acting like a spoiled brat the whole time. But then again - he has arthritis, I'm sure the fondling wasn't very comfortable.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Mr. Bun Bun and I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back