Bacterial Menigitis and Spurrs on teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Hi my bunn Fluff was just recently diagnosed with bacterial menigitis and was given a 3 day prescription of baytril he was falling over and wasnt eating for a few days only soft things silverbeet, grated carrot and such we took him to the vet and he told us he had a problem with the inner ear that was causing the falling overand was developing spurrs on his teeth hence nnot eating. The vet gave him an injection for his ears and he was booked in to go under general to have his teeth done. Yet the next day he was still falling over so we took him back in and the vet changed his diagnosis to bacterial menigitis and he got the baytril prescription. Anyway finally getting to my question how is bacterial menigitis contracted, my buns food and water dishes are cleaned daily and there house is nice and clean so im guessing its not from that.

Thanks in advance:biggrin2:

Hi,

Your post really caught my interest. Part of your post leads me to believe there is something lost in the communication between you and your vet. And a couple of things, if true, raises some questions about care. First...I suspect what your vet is after with diagnosis of bacterial meningitis is actually E Cuniculi. This is an affliction caused by a protozoa. It is one ofthe mostmisunderstood and misdiagnosed conditons a rabbit can get. It does infect the brain. Usually the first signs of this infection are some degree of paresis in the hind quarter....in our experience, the left rear leg is most likely the one affected andwill drag at times. Urinary incontenance is also a possibility. Many believe that this infection will cause head tilt and/or vertigo. That does not appear to be the case.E Cuniculi compromises the immune system and can allow bacterial infections to mount. Ear infections, eye infections, urinary infections and upper and/or lower respiratory infections are always present with an active EC infection. The only postive way to diagnose EC is post mortem. There is a blood test that titers for antibodies in the blood. With an EC titer, the results are always suspect but tends to get a better picture of things with a series of titers over a period of several weeks.

Now, having said all of that, in the abscense of head trauma, the most likely cause of vertigo in a rabbit is an inner and/or middle ear infection which may or may not be secondary to any possible EC infection. The onset of symptoms can appear suddenly. Usually, but not always, vestibular infections start out with the rabbit shaking and/or scratching it's ear quite a bit. It then progresses to vertigo...the rabbit will spin violently as it frantically searches for up and down orientation...the rabbit is dizzy just like we get with an ear infection. Difference in a rabbit is that it can't see directly in front of it's face so it has no fixed focal point in which to reference up and down and orient itself accordingly. Most will develop a condition known as torticollis....it's head will twist to the side. Some know this condition as wry neck or head tilt. The eyes will most likely be scanning...jumping around seraching for a focal point...this condition is known as nystagmus. The "down" side of the face will reflect the side that the ear is most severely infected.

My concern lies with the treatment being offered. I am not a vet but I do treat these conditions often and successfully. Baytril has long fallen from favor both with me and all of my supporting vets. If I were to use this drug, it would be on a rabbit that has never had it before. It is also much more effective when injected. And three days is not an appropriate length of treatment. In general, I think the accepted term for antibiotics is a minimum of 10 days....and with ear infections, I have treated for as long as 8 months. I would also like to know what the injection that was administered was....the drug, the amount and how it was injected. We treat ear infections very aggressively, with multiple antibiotics and for long term. Pain management and hydration support is essential. While the molar spurs are a concern, I think I would concentrate on getting those ears in order. By offering appropriate pain meds, your bun may start to eat better on it's own. No doubt if molars spurs are present that they need to be addressed....but in my non-professional opinion, the ear issue should take priority. And a little hint....ear infections can result in a dangerous high body temp....knowing how to monitorbody temp and controlling it byadministering sub-q fluids can help manage any fever that might develop.

Best wishes to Fluff....an ear infection can be difficult to treat and may take a long time...but it is something that can be beaten.

Randy

Thanks heaps randy thats really informative he had never recieved baytril before the amount I know for sure on the 3day course was 0.3ml and im pretty sure that the injection amount was 0.3 and the injection was baytril. His legs are fine still hopping like crazy. The spurrs on his teeth are delt with he went under general and had them done, hes now eating again im just trying to get him to gain some weight as he lost a bit of weight I actually think hes recovered from whatever he had ill be contacting the vet as soon asI see something out of the ordinary.

Back