Backyard Breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am ashamed to say I got both of my rabbits from a pet store. The first one I never even thought about it or researched rabbits. I went in she looked cute and we got her. Then I saw another cute rabbit. I looked at the house rabbit society and their adoption policy I didn't think I would be approved. So I bought the other cute rabbit. I hate that I did that. Though I wonder what would have happened to my buns if I didn't. Especially with their health problems. I had no clue how hard it is to have rabbits. Though when I adopted them I adopted them for life and will do what I have to for them.

One thing I wish was the house rabbit society didn't have strict guidelines on their website. If they didn't I would have contacted them and we could have talked about it. I would have learned why they had those and that I could have done what they wanted. Not knowing a lot about rabbits I didn't think I could. My rabbits live a great life and I know that if I would have contacted them they would have let me adopt. I just didn't think that then. I didn't think I had a neutral space which they required. Now that I have learned more I realize that I did, I just didn't know enough. I really wish they would take those requirements off the website and then when a person contacted them they could explain the requirements and help them find a way to make it work.

But I couldn't imagine my life without the two buns I have. So I am ok with it now. Nut in the future I will always adopt from a shelter.

Fluffy and Rosy were brought from a wannabe backyard breeder, I say wannabe as she tried hundreds of times to get Rosy preggers by Fluff but he shot blanks so they never had babies except when they came to live with me she got babies.....That was a time when I knew nothing about backyard breeders and how I should of adopted. Chester my canary who's dead was brought from a petstore as there simply isn't in canary breeders in my area. As Michelle said over here a majority of rabbit breeders don't focus on improving lines and bettering a breed most are just unfixed family pets causing accidental litters etc.

Back