Back half issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Right thoughts and ideas please.

Hope seems to be having a back end issue (of some sort).

He has full use of his back legs.

However, he's sort of walking around, not hopping, and his back end is very low down. When he sits he is pushing that end right down and looking very long. He is also raising his tail.

He has eaten some breakfast and when I've done the others I'm going to get the Swarming down here to see whether or not he is pooing and also how much.

I don't think this is a spinal issue, but I'm not sure what it is. If anyone thinks it is spinal then obviously I won't let them out for a run, but his full movement (including jumping in and out of his litter box) implies its not, to me. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

My thoughts are either the start of stasis bought on by his spurs (which he hasn't had done since the start of last September, so that would make sense), or a UTI. His behaviour is very reminiscent of Candyfloss's when she had a UTI.

I'm not seeing my usual vet (no appointments free today) and am not confident in this vet.

Can anyone think of potentially any other issues that might cause these odd symptoms? I'll try and post a video if I can in a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely not an injury.

He's also been tucking into hay and pellets.

He's very alert and interested.

I'm suspecting a UTI?

Not stasis. We have excellent, normal sized poo :D

Ok, so this thread was pointless, sorry.

We're back from the vets now. I was really impressed with her. She gave him a very good going over.

I explained that I thought it was a bladder issue of some sort, and why, but said I was concerned it might be more than just a UTI because he had a similar 'episode' a few months ago which I wondered if they could be related. She gave him bladder a really good feel and said it doesn't feel like there is a stone, or even any grit. She said based on what I've said that it sounds like a UTI. She said the only way to be sure would be to get a urine sample, but that right now we could just treat based on suspicion which is what we did with both Summer and Floss when they had UTIs.

So we've come home with the dreaded Baytril (the only minorly negative part, but equally, it worked find for Floss) and I also have to obviously give him Metacam and see how he goes. If he is still 'odd' then I'll take him back.

Sorry for wasting a thread.

Ha ha. Yeh, he is definitely neutered and this is definitely not anything related to that.

He's very well behaved :p

Yeah, sounded like bladder pain to me too. I don't know how the vet could feel for sludge though, I was under the impression that could only be determined by urine sample or X-ray? It would be hard to "feel" sludge in there, I think.

Make sure he's well hydrated on the metacam. Some (ie Randy) think that metacam is contra-indicated in urinary tract pain because it can damage the urinary tract itself. I know it's the easiest drug to get for bunnies (ie non-narcotic), but it may not be the best one in this case. He'll definitely need to up his water consumption and/or get oral fluids while on it.

The baytril may do it fine. I am not opposed to baytril if it works, which sometimes it does. It's a broad-spectrum antibiotic, so it's good if the vet doesn't know what the bacteria is because they're either in the process of doing a culture, or doing a culture isn't an option. If it doesn't help him within a week or so, you may need to have a urine sample cultured and/or blood work done to asses his kidney function.

Good luck!

Missed all of this.. I agree that baytril is not a terrible drug
; it may not be the correct drug for a very serious infection
Baytril will work for awhile on a bun that has never used it ; it is only after time that it becomes ineffective. baytril injections are far superior to the oral suspension; night and day ; I have used both.
let us know how things goTracy and how he is doing?

Latest posts

Back