babys/kits (HELP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rex bunnie had a litter two days ago that she doesnt take care of, but my lionhead bunny JUST gave birth a few hours ago & I wanna see if my lionhead will take care of both litters , can i put all of the kits together?

I know that fostering is possible and does happen. I do NOT know how to go about making it happen sorry! Hopefully someone will offer some help soon!

Can you give us more information about the does? Are they both first time moms? How many kits are in each litter? How do you know the Rex is not caring for her kits?

You can foster babies to another nest by just shuffling them in and rubbing them around a little bit to "neutralize" the other mom's scent. Most does accept new babies pretty easily, but it helps if you distract the doe with some pellets or a treat while you mess with the box. However, fostering is not always the best option. Having a little more info would help us to help you. :)

Can you give us more information about the does? Are they both first time moms? How many kits are in each litter? How do you know the Rex is not caring for her kits?

You can foster babies to another nest by just shuffling them in and rubbing them around a little bit to "neutralize" the other mom's scent. Most does accept new babies pretty easily, but it helps if you distract the doe with some pellets or a treat while you mess with the box. However, fostering is not always the best option. Having a little more info would help us to help you. :)

Yes sorry, I should have been more specific
I'm just very worried for my bunnies :(!

Yes both the does are first time moms.
this all happened very suddenly !! :O
My rex had 5 kits & my lion head had 6.

I'm assuming that the rex isn't taking care of her babies
because they are really skinny and cold & there bellies aren't getting
big & they don't look big at all, the lion heads bunnies even came out
bigger & more plump then the rex's.

Yes sorry, I should have been more specific
I'm just very worried for my bunnies !

Yes both the does are first time moms.
this all happened very suddenly !! :O
My rex had 5 kits & my lion head had 6.

I'm assuming that the rex isn't taking care of her babies
because they are really skinny and cold & there bellies aren't getting
big & they don't look big at all, the lion heads bunnies even came out
bigger & more plump then the rex's.

Six kits is a lot for a Lionhead. Especially with both being first time moms, I would not add the Rex babies to the same litter. Eleven kits would likely be too many for such a small rabbit.

Your best option may be to remove the nestbox from the Rex. Give the Lionhead doe her own babies for a few minutes in the morning. Then switch nestboxes and give her the Rex babies for the evening. This way, each litter may be nursed naturally once per day. That's probably what I would personally try.

You can also try hand-feeding the Rex babies with KMR or goat's milk using a small syringe. This method is usually unsuccessful, but is worth a try if you get desperate. You may also try sitting the Rex doe on your lap and holding the kits under her, between your knees to nurse. DO NOT flip her on her back and let them sit on top to nurse. If she struggles or kicks, the kits could get hurt that way.

Those are the best suggestions I have...best of luck with your babies!

Latest posts

Back