Baby with a sore belly?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsop

Reaction score
Hi

My pet rabbit had kittens just over a week ago. It was a very un-expected pregnancy but I have been totally besotted with the babies from day one!

All three babies are growing well, the smallest is now almost as big as the others but he/she has a funny scab on his/her belly? It doesn't look like the cord site as its ofset to one side. Could it be due to over grooming? This one had a bloody spot on his toe too, that seems to have healed well but the tummy one looks really scabby?

I have taken a photo and will update as soon as photobucket is back online.

Thanks

sarah x

Could be from overgrooming however, I think you would have noticed it then. Possibly, the mother could have stepped on it while hopping in to feed them. The pic will be helpful to see what it could be.

Sharon

If you're desperate you could try tinypic.com

Hi

Thanks for the link but as my real babies are a bit under the weather and not asleep as they should be I think it will be in the morning before I get the chace to fight with the computer!

The sore belly is more like a scaly scab, you know when you were a kid and you scabbed your knee's? Well it looks like that only not bloody quite pale?

Pics in morning!

Bless they've opened their eyes today :bunnydance:

sarah x

Finally I get to do the pics! I am in the process of re-homing two neglected bunns and my eldest has a chest infection....

IMG_9364.jpg

That looks like it might be a small scratch, like she rubbed up against something sharp or mom got her with a nail. Rabbit skin is so thin and stretchy that when cut it spreads apart like that.

I would clean the wound and put some polysporin (or neosporin or any plain triple-biotic cream for wounds with no painkillers in it) on the cut several times a day.

Watch for signs of infection or aggravation. Check all of the other babies for small cuts too. Check the whole cage and nest box for any small sharp objects which might have cut her. She may have been dragged out of the nest while nursing.

keep a very close eye on it, and if it looks aggravated or infected at all you will need to see a vet.

--Dawn

Hi

Thanks for that, there is nothing sharp in the nest at all. Shes in an outside hutch which is purpose built and its filled with good quality hay.

We can't buy antibiotic cream over the counter here unfortunatly so he/she will have to see the vet on saturday.

sarah x

Latest posts

Back