Baby Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip1123

Reaction score
Chelsea, my mini-lop, is pregnant. I noticed thismorning that she has started tearing out her fur for the nest. As sheand the male rabbit, Oreo, live together in the same cage, I do notknow when she is due because I do not know when they mated. I have afew questions:

How long is it usually after she starts pulling fur that she has the babies?

When do I need to seperate them and which should I move ot the smallercage? the cage I have them in now is gigantic, but I would not want torisk the father killing hte babies (some have said he will eat thebabies). So do I move the father to the smaller cage or do I move themother and her kids to the smaller cage?

Also, where can I pick up a nest box? I am going to clean the cage assoon as I get home from work tonight and get it ready. lasttime she just made a nest out of the bedding in the cage. last timechelsea was pregnant, all 7 died, so I am hoping for better resultsthis time!

any other suggestions or comments are welcome!

Here is some links that I think could help you. Make sure you read every thing there is about them kindling.

The Bunny – From Conception to weaning

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=1

This is a link to my post, where I was having problems with the babies

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6320&forum_id=1

This is another problem that could happen, the mother eating her babies

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=89&forum_id=1

The Rabbit Cheat Sheet (a must for all rabbit owners)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=1

~Amy+Nimue+Babies~

If she is pulling fur she may have babies within hours or days.

You can use a cardboard box for the nest, just make sure she can get in it.

How long is it usually after she starts pulling fur that she has thebabies? they usually pull it RIGHT before they have theirbabies, but this obviously varies between rabbits

When do I need to separate them and which should I move ot the smallercage? the cage I have them in now is gigantic, but I would not want torisk the father killing hte babies (some have said he will eat thebabies). So do I move the father to the smaller cage or do I move themother and her kids to the smaller cage? Usually youshouldn’t keep them both together because he could have impregnated heragain during her pregnancy and there could be problems during herpregnancy (Pam would know best)

Also, where can I pick up a nest box? I am going to clean the cage assoon as I get home from work tonight and get it ready. last time shejust made a nest out of the bedding in the cage. last time chelsea waspregnant, all 7 died, so I am hoping for better results this time!I wasn’t able to buy a nest box, so I had to make one, butyou can buy them online.

thanks for the advice, will do it when i get home (but that will be awhile unfortunately)...

no babies as of yet...

which should I move ot the smaller cage?do I move the fatherto the smaller cage or do I move the mother and her kids to the smallercage?

my bunny pulled her hair several days before shehad the babies...she formed her nest in a cardboard box...i'm unsureabout the cage thing...the smaller cage would keep her more confinedand closer to the babies, but if she is used to the bigger cage and issuddenly being confined she might freak...i tried putting my rabbit ina smaller cage before she had the babies and she flipped out...shewanted nothing to do with being in such a small area...

plus rabbits in the wild like to leave the nestto avoid attracting predators...i don't know if this applies todomestics as well...perhaps, i should just stop talking...LOL

chip1123 wrote:
no babies as of yet...

which should I move ot the smaller cage?do I move the fatherto the smaller cage or do I move the mother and her kids to the smallercage?

Move the father out of the cage. Leave mom in therewith a nestbox and all should be fine. It is really importantto remove him *BEFORE* she has the litter as he can &willre-impregnate her immediately after she delivers thelitter.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back