Baby rabbit with leg ripped off! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runestonez

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am on another board and have a 15 year oldgirl in Floridawho breeds chinchilla bunns...she only visits her Dads house where she has the bunns once a week.

So when she showed up this weekend a stray dog her dad had rescued had ripped off one of her 5 week old kits rear legs off...ON MONDAY!:shock:
AND her dad won't take him to the vet. Nor do they have anything effective on hand to treat him. The advice they are getting is geared more towards cotton tails than domestics...and that makes a difference.
He is also not weaned yet.

I don't suppose there is anyone here who would like a three legged rabbit is there!?
She is going back to her moms soon...her dad won't treat or medicate and she can't bring him home.

I am trying to convince her to turn him over to a shelter or rescue...but she is afraid he will be PTS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Never mind...:(

She found the baby dead this morning.
She wasn't listening to us about what to feed it, he had no anti-biotics, no pain meds...
I was hoping becausehe had made it through the week he could pull through if someone savvy could get to him in time.

I think the injury on top ofeverything else was just too much...:grumpy:
She has been raising and showing bunns for three years but had no idea what cecals were...

She still has the mom and other babies.
so we are trying to convince her to re-home them rather than have something like this happen again.

They really are the most adorable buggers!:)
I am hoping she makes the right decision...the father doesn't like them or want to care for them and she only sees them on Saturdays... <fingers crossed>

poor buns...lets hope she makes the right decision.i dont understand why people have animals if they dont like them..then why have them .?nobody forces anybody to HAVE an animal.....and this girl really is not caring for these bunnies....after 3 years and STILL didnt know what cecals were..HOW COULD U NOT KNOW ?!..she mustve never interacted with them..........sad.

That is really sad. I really hope she stops, or at leasts waits until she is older and more able to be hands on with her rabbits. This really makes me sad :(

To give credit where credit is due the lady who went to drop off meds for her said the other pets seemed to be well cared for and clean...she had another rabbit in a seperate cage...but no has seen the mother or babies yet.
But...only being there one day a week...it is a hard situation...but really...she needs to re-home. Period.

I have to say when I heard about the whole cecals thing I just had to stop...
that was hard to believe...we had to describe the difference.:shock:

I don't think you can ever trust any pet 100%. When we were just starting in show rabbits, we'd bred our doe but weren't sure it took. We believed the vet when he felt her and said she wasn't. Surprise! she had 4 kits on the wire because we didn't expect any. Our dog was in the backyard and took most ofthe legs off of 2 and one leg off one because they were hanging through the wire. We had to putthe two worst ones down. I guess the mom was traumatized because she refused to take care of the last two and they died. Long story short, we don't trust our dog to be around baby rabbits anymore because of this.

i dont think any dogs should be left unattended around any rabbit...u cant stop instinct..we dont have that kind of control over them as much as we seem to think we do.
my dog grew up with my cat and they loved each other...till one day my dog just turned on her and tried to kill her...i was home thank god and stopped it .but now they cant be in the same room ever again..my dog obsessively tries to kill her now...so as much as people SAY that their dog is good with buns..it can all change in a split second...ur never suppose to risk anothers life...and dogs with buns are risky...its too bad that sometimes we have to lose a life to learn this lesson.

If that isn't severe animal neglect on her parents part then I don't know what is. If I had the means I would have reported them to animal control or SPCA. Obviously doing so now wont help the poor baby; binky free. That rabbit suffered immensely for a week with a ripped off limp, my god that is outrageous!

:X :tears2:

It's sad to see people who obviously love their animals, but don't have the means nor knowledge to properlly care for them. I do hope she makes the right decision and finds homes for them. Perhaps, like Myia09 suggested, that when this girl is older, she may be able to get back into breeding and showing. But this is certainly not a good situation right now.

On a side note, and to credit a good dog,I've got a little story to share. We had won a doe mini rex from an aution a couple of years back. However, little to our knowledge at the time, the doe was pregnant. Since we had no idea she was due, she wasn't given a nest box. So when she kindled, the kits were on the wire floor of the cage and had managed to crawl out through the wire and onto the floor of our barn. Early that morning, our golden retriever had actually picked one up in her mouth and actually brought it to me on our front door stop that morning before I went out to feed the rabbits. You can imagine my surprise! Any golden retriever owner will know that goldens have what is called a "soft mouth", meaning they don't bite down on anything they are carrying. This is a genetic trait bred into them for hunting reasons. Anyway, once I discovered this little one day old present, I quickly got to our barn and scooped up the rest of the kits that were crawling around on the floor. If it wasn't for our golden, I would've probably never noticed the kits and they would've quickly frozen to death. The end result was that all of the kits were saved, the mother took them well and made a nice nest for them, and they are still alive and healthy today :) All thanks to our wonderful dog.

That's so sad. I don't really blame the girl, but the dad. :( Though I do think the girl can't care for them if she's not there, and as much as she wants to keep them, they'd be better off rehomed. That's awful that the dad wouldn't take the baby to the vet. :(

You can't really trust dogs around rabbits usually (though some are great with them of course). I have 4 Cavaliers which are lovely dogs and great with my rabbits and guinea pigs, but I wouldn't let them loose around each other or alone together. Even though my dogs have been around newborn kittens (as in cats, not rabbits!) and were brilliant with them, rabbits are different because they're prey. I let my dogs sniff and lick at them, and my dogs know they have to sit down quietly and be calm when they do, and they're great, except my puppy tries to chew their ears :)

So I really don't blame the dog for doing what comes naturally to it . . .

Latest posts

Back