Baby rabbit with excess cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnaHarvey

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently adopted two 9-week old rabbits and have noticed that both of them seem to have been producing excess cecotropes that are not being eaten. The lady I got them from told me to give them 1 teaspoon of oats along with pellets and hay daily until they reach 6 months then discontinue the oats. It’s only been a few days and I’ve been transitioning them to Sherwood baby pellets and have still been giving them a few oats since that is what they are used to (about 1/2 tsp). One rabbit seems to have evened out now that he is more adjusted and his poops look normal, but the other one is still having the extra cecotropes and some smaller darker poops that might be cecotropes that broke apart but it’s hard to tell. Is this something I need to worry about, or is this just part of her adjusting to the new environment? I have their first vet appointment scheduled for next week. Any advice is appreciated!

From my understanding, baby rabbits should have unlimited pellets and hay. Oats are only a treat and don’t need to be given regularly. I’m not a very experienced rabbit mama so that’s all the advice I have. I hope someone else can give more insight 😊

Oats are more of a treat, I do feed about a tsp to my bunnies every once and a while as they are fibrous. 9 week old's need at least two servings of pellets a day because they are growing so much. I stop giving the extra serving at about 3-4 months depending on the rabbit. Hay should be unlimited always. Also, make sure your buns aren't getting to much proteins, sugars, or calcium, those are key factors to excess cecotropes.

Thanks guys! I was hesitant to stop the oats because I didn’t want too many changes at once, but I’ll cut those out and see if it improves.

Latest posts

Back