Baby rabbit has a limp ear tip?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinhead

Reaction score
We have an 8 week old lop baby... her ears have begun to lop already, but I noticed today that one ear tip is totally floppy and limp so that it is hanging at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the ear. What is this? Should I be worried about it?

IMG_2804.jpg

Today

IMG_2799.jpg

A couple of days ago

It might just be "bell ears" where the tip droops. This is more common in warm weather. In rare cases, it can be due to a nutritional deficiency.

I am in South Australia so the weather here is cold at the moment, especially overnight. The underside of the ear looks normal to me, and I can't feel any real difference with it and the other ear except that she just seems to have no muscle control of the last inch or so of that one 'limp' ear. There is no resistance at all if I fold it, unlike the other ear - its like folding a piece of cloth as opposed to folding say a paper towel, which at least has some body to it.

Sometimes my babies do this- I just call them lazy ears because normally when I touch them they straighten back out, then the 'relax' again. Usually I don't worry with the young ones.

Yep, it has been a couple of days now and she still has it - but she seems totally fine, eating, drinking and pooping normally. So I'm just going to presume it's lop bunny 'growing pains' or something and it will sort itself out :)

Thanks for your responses though guys!

Just keep an eye out for it because sometimes ear mites can cause the tips of the ears to flop unnaturally. What a cutie, by the way.

Latest posts

Back