baby rabbit feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced their doe maybe changing her time to feed her kits? Ever since my doe had her kits on Thursday last week she has seemed to feed them in the early morning, because when I came in the morning to feed her, the kits tummy's were always very round and full. However, this morning I came and the kits looked like they hadn't been fed this morning, their skin wasn't tight around their tummies as usual and they didn't look full. Their skin wasn't wrinkly though, but nice and smooth. However, their skin was loose around their tummies, and when I checked them and uncovered them, they were squeaking and wriggling around. I did notice some of them had very slightly rounded tummies, almost like they had been given a very very short feed.

I'm not excessively worried at this point as I know does are very good at caring for their young, and Bella is still very protective of her nest box, and will always make sure the entrance to the nest box is covered with hay and wood shavings, which she made sure of after I fed her this morning. So I know she hasn't forgotten her babies, as she still diligently hides them.
I've only ever had one other doe a few years ago with kits, and my friend helped me with them.

I just thought it was strange that their tummies weren't big and round when I checked them, as they have been in the morning since they were born.

But I was just wondering if anyone knows if does sometimes change their time to feed the kits?

I will keep an eye on them as it's her first batch, but so far she has been an amazing mum.

Maybe she got startled in the middle of feeding them. If they haven't been fed by morning and it's been more than 36 hours since they last ate, you'll need to intervene before they become too weak to nurse. Also check mom to make sure she isn't wanting to feed them because she's developed mastitis.

I went back later today and she had fed them later, which was really weird for a rabbit, I've never experienced a rabbit feeding her kits in the middle of the day.
I checked them again at lunchtime and their little bellies were popped full of milk, which was incredible because early morning is her usual time, not the middle of the day

So I agree, she might have been startled during the early morning feed.

Back