baby lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvdutchrabbbits90

Reaction score
Ok so i got a lionhead boy Sat. I did not know he was so young until she handed him too me.. He is not even 5 weeks yet. I am now having a hard time to get him to eat. I give all my rabbits plain pellets with hay andt oats mixed with it. I have given him extra oats he just wont eat. What should i do?

you could try adding a little warm water to the pellets, and creating a warm 'mush' for him to try to eat. offer him lots of hay, maybe pick out some of the softer leaves and avoid giving him the really hard stems.

i personally wouldn't give him oats, I just avoid them with my buns.

is he drinking anything? how are his poops? can you post a photo of him so we can get an idea on how big he is? was he taken directly from his litter or was he already housed alone? how is he acting (running around, acting like a normal baby bunny or really lethargic?).

He is drinking water.He was takin from his litter im pretty sure. Im going to go wiegh him now and take a pic!His poop is normal. This is why none of my babies leave until 8 weeks!

He is acting normal running around. He is 9 onces!!

Heres litte Casanova....

c2.jpg

Cassanova.jpg

C3.jpg

oh wow, how cute!

I am wondering if maybe he is just a little upset from leaving his family.

i would try to maybe give him an old t-shirt to cuddle with or give him some massive one on one time with a food dish sitting out with you.

Please don't give him oats!

I've watched a couple experiments people have done with their herds, and for the most part they've found that if oats are given after 3 1/2 weeks old, they're a HUGE risk of enteritis. For people that elemenated them from the diet until 3 1/2 months old, found that there were NO cases of enteritis.

I think for the most part all you can do is give him pellets, timothy, and possibly alfalfa hay. I know my little 6 week old litter loves alfalfa as a treat. It's high in calories, and I think that's what this little guy could use right now. o.o;

I've also had pretty good luck with rat/mouse/rabbit milk replacer from Petsmart or petco. I raised one of my runts on a mix of about 1/2 milk replacer, and 1/2 private feedings with mama. To this day, he's still a good 2 ounces smaller than the rest, but he's doing amazing. (Not to mention, the best bun out of that litter!)

He might just be upset from leaving his family and old living space. I bought two 8 week olds at a show on March 6th. It took about a week for them to start eating normal again. They would barely nibble on the pellets or drink. The little doe even had some diarrhea. But now they eat all their food and drink their water. They just had to become comfortable at my house I think.

Latest posts

Back