Baby Lionhead Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
I suppose this is mainly for Peg but I thought it would be nice for it to be public.

I have one litter of Lionheads, there is five and all are diffrent in color as well as manes.

My main question is for the little doe. Yesterday on her third adventure out of the cage I noticed her wool is VERY crimped. It looks wavy but when you seperate it it is heavily crimped. All of it is, every bit of wool on her, even the fur on her back is lightly wavy. She is still pretty bald, back of neck, spots on head, inside of front legs, back knees, ect. She has big wool coming between her ears but her flanks JUST now are getting very short wool where as the bucks have longer wool there.

The chocolate tort buck has no bald places left. He has the shortest, thickest, wool. I really like him so far. The broken chocolate tort otter buck has the longest wool of the three double manes. He has bald spots still, just like the doe, but has really long wool on his head and between his ears as well as the wool around his butt(on each sides of his tail). Neither buck has crimped looking wool.

Any of you lovely lion breeders out ther taken note of how your babies looked and then how they did as adults?

DSCI1423-1.jpg

DSCI1425.jpg

DSCI1427-1.jpg

The pictures do not show the doe's crimp. It does show she is the smallest though ;)

somewhere I read a comment that crimping was a good sign that the mane would retained into adulthood. don't remember who said it though

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I suppose this is mainly for Peg but I thought it would be nice for it to be public.

I have one litter of Lionheads, there is five and all are diffrent in color as well as manes.

My main question is for the little doe. Yesterday on her third adventure out of the cage I noticed her wool is VERY crimped. It looks wavy but when you seperate it it is heavily crimped. All of it is, every bit of wool on her, even the fur on her back is lightly wavy. She is still pretty bald, back of neck, spots on head, inside of front legs, back knees, ect. She has big wool coming between her ears but her flanks JUST now are getting very short wool where as the bucks have longer wool there.

The chocolate tort buck has no bald places left. He has the shortest, thickest, wool. I really like him so far. The broken chocolate tort otter buck has the longest wool of the three double manes. He has bald spots still, just like the doe, but has really long wool on his head and between his ears as well as the wool around his butt(on each sides of his tail). Neither buck has crimped looking wool.

Any of you lovely lion breeders out ther taken note of how your babies looked and then how they did as adults?
First of all - I always rejoice when I see crimped wool. I've had it on single manes and double manes and they've ALWAYS - I repeat that - ALWAYS kept their manes if it was crimped. They might have gone through a molt and lost some - but it always came back - and sometimes it came back even nicer.

What concerns me is how much of her is crimped....I wonder if she'll be some sort of a teddy (I've had some that looked like scotty-dogs) or what. It would be interesting to see how she develops.

I found that the longer the rabbit had bald spots - the better the mane was. Maybe not always - but pretty much. A lot of it depended upon the lines - some of them had their manes coming in earlier and they were still nice - and others had not as great mane coming in later. But generally - the more baldness = more mane in the long run.

I've been out of lionheads for 2 years now and I'm not sure about the bloodlines that are out there now.

I will say that if you want to get some REALLY NICE lionheads at a reasonable price - I believe Nita and Kaela Shannon from Legendary Minis are shipping rabbits to the lionhead Nationals show in Columbus, OH. That is held in May (about a month away?). If you could make it there or knew someone who was going there and could pick up a rabbit...it might be worth it.

I just looked at her website - some were as much as $100 -others were lower. It looks like most were sold...but here you go:

http://www.legendaryminis.com/

Anyway - good luck with the litter. I would love to watch them grow if you will continue to post pictures.

I knew crimping was good, but I did not know it showed at such a young age so I was wondering if it was good so young or opposite. If you wanted to see it after so old and not before, that kind of thing.

The broken buck is a little crimped. It is hard to see but if you turn him just right with the light hitting you can see it in his white wool around his ears.

Both brokens have lots of bald while I am pretty sure the chocolate tort buck is totally covered. I have had only a few lionhead litters and that was two years ago but I am sure none of my babies before this kept bald spots so long.

Latest posts

Back