Baby(ish) bunny help needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
So I am still quite the bunny newbie. Our "babies" no longer look like baby bunnies, just slightly smaller than their Dad.
I had the 3 we are keeping sexed, was told all 3 were girls but boys can hide their junk. The vet and techs (experienced bunny people) really poked, prodded and pulled stuff around too. No testicles could be found. I was told that even females hump or mount for dominance when I questioned why Curly Smudgenosed Buttercup (we have yet to formalize its name lol) kept mounting Nutmeg, only Nutmeg and not Snowball (how I dislike the name Snowball too).
Anyway, the "babies" will be 3 months on April 14 and are growing, pooping and playing like mad. Nutmeg and Curly Smudgenosed Buttercup are very social and affectionate with me, come when I call (a lot anyway) so I am quite attached to them. However ... just yesterday when I was snuggling with Curly Smudgednosed Buttercup I found a complete set of testicles. Yeehaw! Can he pregnant Nutmeg or Snowball? How soon can I have him fixed? 3 months is too young isn't it? The dad is fixed and I like him much better now.

How old were they when you had them sexed? Generally boys don't drop their testicles till they're around 3-4 months, so even with all the poking and prodding, the vet wouldn't be able to find any until they've dropped anyway.

I believe (but let a more experienced member say for sure) you can get boys neutered as soon as their testicles drop.

You may want to check your other two as well. Baby bunnies are notorious for "changing" sex. ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

I've only had buns for a couple of years, but as far as I know, you shouldn't neuter or spay them until they're at least 6 months. So it looks like you may have to wait a while! Maybe you should separate Curly and Nutmeg when they aren't supervised? If you're worried about a new litter, that may be the only solution!

I'm pretty sure it was within the last 2 weeks.

I really think Nutmeg is a girl, she looks it and seems all girl. I cannot explain it.

I should take pictures, seeing that I just got my camera back.

As soon as their testicles drop you can have it done. I like waiting a little bit to give them a chance to grow but if you can't separate them get it done asap.

Males can be done as soon as the testicles show and females should be done at 4 to 6 moths according to our Vet. They can be sexed before the testicles drop as its by shape--there was a thread showing what the differentiating factors are when you are doing a sex check. Not everyone gets it right, though. We got Nick from a shelter that had him listed as "male mini mix". She turned out to be very mixed when I checked her out a couple of days later and the named changed to Nik-Nik.

I had my male neutered when he was beginning to be too 'friendly' with the cats. I never saw his testicles, he would always pull them up when I flipped him over :p

Today, I snatched him up when he was trying to mount Nutmeg and his little winky was out, totally grossed me out lol. Nutmeg will not cooperate with him.
I am going to try and get him neutered early next week. The clinic is closed on Fridays.

Back