Baby Ingesting Nestbox Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angela

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm just new to this forum and have enjoyed reading all the valuable information to be found here.

One of my does gave birth to her first litter 11 days ago. Sadly 2 babies were stillborn and a 3rd one was hugely underdeveloped and stillborn. There were 2 live babies though. At the time that the doe kindled there was a major festival going on in Thailand where we live. We had fireworks going off all around us, every night for 7-8 nights and into the early hours of the morning. In Thailand, they have fireworks called 'bombs' - and believe me the name fits well. It sounded like we were in the middle of a war zone. Anyway, because of the stillborn babies, 1st time mom (her and me) and only 2 precious babies remaining, I panicked. I removed the 2 babies and decided to hand raise them myself, taking them to the mom morning and night for her to feed. Well, this has worked brilliantly! They are now 11 days old, healthy and strong.

However, I now have a problem I'd like help with please. One of the babies had a 'string of pearls' poop today which has me very worried. I've noticed that it has started nibbling on the hay in the nestbox. I figure that it must be ingesting some of the mom's fur which I replace and carefully line the nestbox with every 2nd day. So, a question please - should I now stop putting fur in the nestbox? I REALLY want to avoid wool block in a baby this young at all costs. Until someone here advises me to do diffently I've now taken out the fur and lined the nestbox (a pet carrier, now cause they kept trying to get out of the nestbox already) with two of my very snuggly jumpers and hay. It is winter time here at the moment and in the early hours of the morning it gets quite cold. Will this be ok?? They are sleeping in my bedroom with me, and (my goodness, I'm such a mother! LOL) I'm getting up every morning around 2 or 3am to check that they are still warm and covered up.

All advice/opinins will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Angela :)

Back