Baby Holland lop question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
Okay, so don't laugh at me for this. :p

I got two baby Holland Lops on January 3rd, and she said their ears wouldn't 'drop' for at least a month is I think what she said. They were eight weeks old I believe and their breeding line takes longer for ears to drop.

I was clipping the smaller one's nails today, and she was squirming around so I wrapped her like a burrito in a towel so I wouldn't accidentally clip the quick, which I did anyway. But when I put her down I noticed one ear was up and the other was...limp. Both of them have done it before, so I wasn't worried until she wouldn't pick it up to listen, which they usually do.

So, yes, it sounds stupid, but I was wondering if it could just be because she's a lop? I didn't think it was this early though.

Also, I felt this could be better answered here, perhaps by Lop breeders, instead of the Infirmary but feel free to move it. :)

It shouldn't really be a problem. Generally Hollands' ears begin to lop by 6 weeks, if not earlier. But depending on the line, it may be a little later than that.

they may do a helicopter fall do...you can push them down if you want, i heard rumors of that helping.
i bounce mines down and he thinks its a game

Okay then, thanks so much for reassuring me. XD
I feel like such an overprotective bunny mother, but it was weird that one did it and the other didn't. :p

i know some lops whose eaes never fall but its rare and in the lines from what i get

but your a great mom

I saw pictures of my holland at 4 weeks and his ears were already well on their way to being fully lopped. So it's perfectly normal for them to lop their ears at various times - basically any time is "normal".

The first line I worked with I would not keep any kits if the ears did not lop by 4-6 weeks as it meant their crown development was not there.

However, the new, unrelated line I am working with took longer... I was not sure that my three bucks, Stinger (ears down at 4 weeks), Radar (one ear up and down) and Splash (ears up)would ever be consistent but at two months, all had their ears down and did not exhibit the control they did earlier.

If he is going to be a show rabbit the ear control can be a concern but other than that, it is a cute trait... it was how Radar was...and how he got his name as the ear was like his radar.

My "boys" mom Juno had ear control until she was about six months but she is dropped now Splash went on to a pet home and Radar is at a 4H home. Stinger is here - waiting to see if he matures as I hope he will.

Denise

Latest posts

Back