Baby buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelbyLin14

Reaction score
Hey guys! I think my female may finally be in labour, she has made herself a little tunnel in a blanket of mine in my room and is not leaving, and breathing quite heavily. My question is, if she has them is it to stressful to move the babies into the nest box in her cage after they’re born??

If she didn't pluck fur now, and not gathering hay for the nest I would shut her in her cage right now and leave her alone when she starts plucking fur, just peek from a distance, not irritating her, just to be able to help if something goes wrong, like kits born outside the nest.
Before kindling they have an incredible urge to build tunnels, very stubbornly, that is ok, and not too late to put her in the cage.

If it's too late and she already built a proper nest I would not interfere, and not move the nest until a feeding routine is established, about 3 days. When transferring the nest stuff her nose into it several times, hours apart. Then keep her shut in her cage with the nestbox until she fed the kits, and lock her in there around feeding time the first days. When you let her out block the region where the nest was.

Moving the nest really is a big thing, rabbits don't care much about kits, but about the nest, and it's location defines whos nest it is. If they find their nest empty, it's gone. Accepting a nest in another location doesn't always work. Last time someone documented that here it ended bad for the kits.

If she didn't pluck fur now, and not gathering hay for the nest I would shut her in her cage right now and leave her alone when she starts plucking fur, just peek from a distance, not irritating her, just to be able to help if something goes wrong, like kits born outside the nest.
Before kindling they have an incredible urge to build tunnels, very stubbornly, that is ok, and not too late to put her in the cage.

If it's too late and she already built a proper nest I would not interfere, and not move the nest until a feeding routine is established, about 3 days. When transferring the nest stuff her nose into it several times, hours apart. Then keep her shut in her cage with the nestbox until she fed the kits, and lock her in there around feeding time the first days. When you let her out block the region where the nest was.

Moving the nest really is a big thing, rabbits don't care much about kits, but about the nest, and it's location defines whos nest it is. If they find their nest empty, it's gone. Accepting a nest in another location doesn't always work. Last time someone documented that here it ended bad for the kits.

Okay! So she has already built her nest in her cage with hay and fur, but is scruffing up everything in my room. She’s now just laying on the floor like normal.. maybe she is just not sure what’s happening as she’s never had kits before. I’ll let her get some exercise and then put her back in her cage in a bit and see what happens! If she does end up having them somewhere in my room I’ll just leave them there and let her roam free :)

Okay! So she has already built her nest in her cage with hay and fur, but is scruffing up everything in my room. She’s now just laying on the floor like normal.. maybe she is just not sure what’s happening as she’s never had kits before. I’ll let her get some exercise and then put her back in her cage in a bit and see what happens! If she does end up having them somewhere in my room I’ll just leave them there and let her roam free :)
It would be best to keep her in her cage for now, maybe let out for an hour with you supervising, but as said above just leave her alone in her cage and cover it with a blanket or something to give her some privacy, most rabbits will wait until no one is watching them so if you'll be checking on her often she will wait and wait and wait. Just make sure she has food, hay, extra water and check her twice a day.
I wouldn't let her free roam right now why create extra troubles if she has nest and safe place? Babies will be extremely vulnerable and it is important that they are in their nest for first 2 weeks. They will have no fur and need to be all together so they can warm each other. If they are cold they won't be able to digest milk and can die. First week is most important you will have to monitor if they are fed, if they are inside of nest etc, but be also very careful and dont do it too often and dont take them out of nest without a good reason and for longer than 5 mins. Let her take care of them and again, give her some extra privacy she won't be nursing if she knows youre watching

Latest posts

Back