baby buns and older buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
So, I finally got an email back from the lionhead breeder in Chino Valley, AZ....and I am on the list for a baby lionhead doe that I will get to take home in April, her females are due any day now.

I just have a few questions. I am ALWAYS asking questions, sorry guys!

When I get the baby from the breeder, I would like her to be on Oxbowpellets. Is it safe to switch a baby bunny over to new pellets so soon?

Since she will be a baby, I will want to feed her Oxbow
Bunny Basics 15/23 (alfalfa pellets). I have read that baby buns need an unlimited amount of alfalfa pellets until they are around 6 months old, is that true? Does she need an unlimited amount of alfalfa hay as well?

These next questions are for IF they bond and live happily together....

Should I house her in her own cage (with an attached play space using NIC panels as a pen so she has lots of room) until she can be spayed/reaches the age where I can switch her over to Timothy pellets and hay? That way she can't eat Mallory and Morgan's food, and they can't eat hers since it won't be good for them. I don't know how else I would keep their foods/hay separate if they were bonded before she is old enough to be switched to Timothy foods.

^ (If that paragraph confused you, it confused me too. I don't know how to type out what I am trying to say).

Basically, I think everything else will work out fine, I just would like to know your opinions on being free-fed alfalfa pellets or if separating them for their feeding times is okay.

- Amy

YAY...a new bunny! :D

As far as the pellets...yes, unlimited alfalfa pellets. You don't have to give the baby alfalfa hay, unlimited Timothy is just fine.

As far as housing...I would recommend he/she have his/her own home until neutered/spayed. Just because the hormones that come on around six months of age could cause the bun to fight with your other(no matter how sweet your baby seems...the change will happen).

Hope that helps! :)

So, I should house her separate from Mallory and Morgan until her spay? No contact at all between them or is VERY close watched play time okay?

I am thinking I will keep her in the living room since it's hard wood floors and I can just put a tarp down in her attached play space for accidents. I will have to move some furniture, which my fiance's mom won't mind, so that she can have a good amount of space.

- Amy

Yeah, I would just keep her totally separate,even during play time. I don't let ANY of my girls out together, with just one of them spayed so far. It's just not worth the stress...not just of your two altered buns, but also when the hormones hit, it'll stress out the new baby.

I wish I could tell ya otherwise, though! :)

Thank you for your help! Those were just a few questions I couldn't find answers to.

Do you have an answer for my question...

"When I get the baby from the breeder, I would like her to be on Oxbow pellets. Is it safe to switch a baby bunny over to new pellets so soon?"

Thanks so much!

- Amy

EDIT to edit the question:): I know she needs to be switched gradually, but would switching her to a new type/brand of pellet be harsh on her even if I do it gradually because she will be so young?

Sorry I didn't see this for a bit...lots happening, hehe.

You should be fine to gradually switch her over. I did that with Maisie when she was about three months old, so your baby should be just fine. :)

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I am on the list for a new lionhead baby/ies too!! I am soo excited!! But we can't get them until May:(

Hey Congrats on the new lionhead.

Just one word with the food issue. It is reccomended to see if the breeder will let you have a few days worth of food of what they normally eat, especially if it's a baby because their stomachs are much more sensitive then an adults. Most breeders I know automatically give a little food to the people they sell to anyways,but if this one doesn't then ask.

Take this food and mix it in with the food you are going to give the baby. The first day give him 75% the food the breeder uses and 25% the food you are going to use. The next day do 50% of both, the third day 75% your food and 25% the breeders food and on the fourth day he should be all set to eat the food you have for him.

Provide plenty of timothy hay at all times, and even though it is tempting don't feen him any greens till he is 6 months old.It can make them so sick that they can die. I've seen it happen with rabbits that my friends have bought that were 4 months old and were "used to greens" as the breeder told them. They only gave them a little bit of carrot and lettuce, but one of them still died. It's better safe then sorry.

Follow this information and you will be all set. Have a lot of fun with your rabbit!

(Sorry didn't see that someone already said it was alright to gradually switch...... I'm busy too ;) )

Thank you very much Huneysuckle! I am unsure what rabbit I will be adopting. There are SO many options!

- Amy

Latest posts

Back