Baby Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

Reaction score
Can anyone please help?

My bunny has had a litter, we lost three who were still born, I really want to make sure that my baby bunny is ok and that I am doing everything I can for them.

Did the mother produce any milk? If she did, leave the baby in the nestbox and the mother will feed it. Make sure it has plenty of fur in the nest. Or you can make the mother feed it by holding the mother in your lap on her back and let the baby nurse for 5 minutes. If you do this, however, you need to induce the baby to urinate. Put warm water on a cotton ball and gently rub the genital area until it goes. If the mother feeds it on her own, you don't have to worry.

If the mother didn't produce milk, get some KMR (kitten milk replacer)and give the baby some every few hours. Again, make sure to induce urination at least twice a day.

Good Luck!!!

Sharon

Thanks for that very helpful, can anyone tell from the picture if baby looks right? He is 4 days old, I am so scared to loose him after three were still born he's like a little miracle.His mummy is a Nethrland Dwarf just in-case size makes a difference, also I tried to give mummy vitamins in her drink and she wouldn't drink the water.

Every morning I check the baby and he is very warm and has a nice full tummy, Mummy is fine with me checking on him as she is very tame. Do you think this is the best thing to do, are there any other checks I should be making. Mummy has gone off her food too and will only eat the guinea pigs pellets, I know these are more fattening but I thought that it might not hurt her while she is feeding.

The baby looks fine. So far, sounds like you are doing a GREAT job. The guinea pig pellets are fine but try mixing it with some of her food. Make sure the mother has lots of hay.

Sharon

Another question, sorry very paranoid new mum, i have read so much about babies dying from bacteria,can I clean the cage out? Could I for e.g. put Mummy and Baby somewhere safe and then clean out the cage and put in fresh bedding, should I put a clean towel under the nest then put some "safe bed" and then maybe some of the fur around to keep the smell?

You can clean the cage but I would hesitate on cleaning the nest. Don't clean it unless it because wet. A little of mother's feces is normal.

Sharon

Also, don't worry about all the questions...you are just being a GOOD MOTHER!!!

Thank you for your reply x

This is a fantastic forum it is very reassuring for first time Mum's,because Daddy has been to the vets (husband took him) this is my only ever litter and little baby means so much, I have cleaned Mummy out every two days and got a lttle spray of animal disinfectant on a cloth and just wiped over the bottom of the cage.

It was so very cute today, baby must be very hungry he ventured out of the nest found his Mummy rolled on his back and started to feed, he then waddled back to the nest lay down and went to sleep, it was so cute and funny too x

Hi Sharon,

The only pic I have that is new is the one attached to my signature. As baby is walking around more I am going to get some more tomorrow I plan on putting Mummy out for a bit and cleaning out the nest box (side of cage not actual nest box) as it is looking grubby now and baby looks as though he is nibbling at hay.

Mummy is feeding as we speak so all is good at the moment, Daddy was outside on the decking earlier sat with my German Shepherd by the time I got my camera they had both walked off! typical x

Latest posts

Back