Baby Bunny Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Hi guys, just have two quick questions, the babies are just over two weeks old.

1)What age can the babies go outside in the run with Mammy?

2) I read some place that it's ok for the babies to nibble on veggies if the doe had veggies while she was pregnant and while she was nursing them? Is that true? Princess gets veggies every night, but if I need to I can keep them away from the babies.

Thanks everyone!

Think someone on the forum let there babies in the run at 3 weeks old with momma there was pictures of it too!

I don't see a problem with letting the babies in the run. Just make sure that they can't get out any holes. Also, make sure it has a roof on it or they are being supervised as you don't want them being grabbed by birds. We have a lot of hawks in our area and I never let them run by themselves. My run has a cover on it.

As far as the veggies. Just start simple. Pick one veggie and give them a TINY piece. Keep this up for a while and then start to add more...one at a time.

Sharon

As long as the babies have no way of getting out of the run - baby bunnies can squeeze through VERY tight spaces - then they can go out with her as soon as they are up and moving about! Just babyproof the run.

As for the veggies, start simple like Sharon said. Don't overload them too quickly on new items, or it will give them the runs. One at a time, slow and steady.

-----

Annie

Ok thanks! I will keep the veggies away from the babies and just make a bit of carrot or something available to them and Princess can have her usual veggies in her 'time away from babies' box. They are only eating hay so far.

I'll have to check if the babies will be able to get through the bars, I think that they might be able.

I'm probably overly cautious with babies. I do not allow babies out in the run with mom. I have an inside run that I'll let them in. The reason is two fold, which was touched on: 1. I am afraid for their safety. I don't want them to get out and get hurt by another animal, nor do I want to take the chances another animal might get them. In our area I'd be worried about birds of prey, neighborhood cats and dogs, or wild animals that might find something so small easy to cart off and digest. 2. I do not give my little ones veggies (including what is growing in the yard) until they are closer to six months.A wee bit in moderation may be OK, but I never even try anything like that until they are closer to 8 weeks. Reason being, their little systems are getting used to mixing hay and pellets (and the Cheerios I give as a small snack) with mom's milk. Enteritis is far too easy for the little ones to contract. Yes, the runs are bad...however enteritis is worse. I like to keep their diets consistent. They don't need the veggies at this age, so why risk it? As they get older, I increase the variety of foods they get...but their systems are much stronger at 6 months of age.

Just be careful with them. They're pretty delicate at this age. I'd hate to see you lose them just because you were trying to be nice to them.

I've always heard not to give babies ANY greens or fruits until they are 6 months. Just so they learn to eat their pellets and hay instead of getting used to the treats. They can lose weight quickly especially since they are already sharing food and if they do get the runs, the will make them lose more weight.

Just be careful when bringing them out to play, as long as you are there watching them the whole time, they should be fine. Babies can also climb so make sure there is a lid.:)

Thanks everyone, I wasn't going to give them veggies at all but then I read that it is ok if the doe has been getting veggies all along then it was ok for the babies because something like her milk has nutrients and stuff from the veggies so there systems are used to it and can deal with it, or something like that.

Before I read that I believed they shouldn't get them at all, so that's why I was asking before I gave them to them, I guess I'll leave the veggies then, at least for a few weeks.

The run is very strong, has a roof and stuff and is right beside my house, no predators would come in the middle of the day and plus I would be watching them like a hawk myself! :D

I have, with all of my foster litters, given the babies access to the mothers greens. I fed the moms greens all throughout the nursing period. The babies also stayed with mom until about 10-12 weeks, when the boys where neutered and mom was spayed.

I did not have any problems with the babies and their tummies.

When the babies started to get out of the nest box and eat solid food, I would do one green (like parsley or cilantro or romane lettuce) and then wait a day before giving again. I never observed any runny poops, so I continued to feed and would add the veggies in one by one.

If you do decide to give the babies access to veggies, you need to be vigilant in case they do have an issue with it.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I have, with all of my foster litters, given the babies access to the mothers greens. I fed the moms greens all throughout the nursing period. The babies also stayed with mom until about 10-12 weeks, when the boys where neutered and mom was spayed.

I did not have any problems with the babies and their tummies.

When the babies started to get out of the nest box and eat solid food, I would do one green (like parsley or cilantro or romane lettuce) and then wait a day before giving again. I never observed any runny poops, so I continued to feed and would add the veggies in one by one.

If you do decide to give the babies access to veggies, you need to be vigilant in case they do have an issue with it.

--Dawn
Thanks ;)

Maybe I'll give them access to just one type and then keep Mammy's other veggies away from them, if I see anything funky going on I'll stop.

I tend to put my babies out with their mum from around 3-4 weeks I prefer 4 with the nethies as they are so small.

I let my babies share the veg that their mum gets if she has had it the full time they are used to it and don't get any stomach problems. I wouldn't give them a vegetable that the doe wasn't used to though.

polly wrote:
I tend to put my babies out with their mum from around 3-4 weeks I prefer 4 with the nethies as they are so small.

I let my babies share the veg that their mum gets if she has had it the full time they are used to it and don't get any stomach problems. I wouldn't give them a vegetable that the doe wasn't used to though.
Thanks, they went out today, and loved it, baby binkys are the cutest.

That is what I read before about the veggies, think it was somewhere on the forum.

Latest posts

Back