Baby bunny questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
My new baby bunny (she is approximately 14 weeks old) has a matted underside. I initially thought it was poop that had dried into her fur, but on second glance it looked more like litter. She was on Carefresh in her previous home and that is what it reminded me of. But it looks more like it could've been urine that had dried and then matted to her fur. I know I am most likely overreacting and that it's nothing, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

So, is it anything I should be worried about? Or is it just par for the course in baby bunnies. I seem to remember this with my other babies, but I don't know now. I'm a nervous mom...what can I say?

Also, according to the paperwork that was given to me, the babies are both the same age -- born only 3 days apart. But the darker (siamese sable) girl is quite a bit larger. Her stomach is where it is most noticeable in my opinion. It feels normal, and I knowthis is most likely a ridiculous question, but is it possible for her to be so much larger when just a few days older?

Oh, and by the way, both girls are eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing as normal. They are acting curious and are not lethargic at all. So, seriously, I'm just nuts, right?! I don't mind -- as long as it means they're okay.

I think that if you have not taken both these little buns to a vet that it might be a good idea. I don't know what could be matted in the fur..possibly poo??? young buns can easily get disturbances in the bacteria in their gut causing diarrhea.

Do you mean one of the buns has a larger tummy? If it looks abnormally round it's possible the little one has parasites.
best to get them both checked over!

As far as the stomach issue goes....you need to remember that you have rabbits from two different sets of parents....which means different genetics for them. So of course they are going to look different.

I've never heard of a pet shop giving paperwork before with a rabbit (I forget how you explained about them). If they gave you a pedigree - it will have the breeder's name and phone number and you should call them with some questions about if these are mixed breed rabbits or purebred (the breeder can verify this) - if the rabbits have long ears because they don't carry the dwarfing gene (I remember you mentioned that before).

Even in the same litter- you can have rabbits of varying sizes - even at 3 months or so. I think this is especially true in the dwarf breeds - but it may be the same in the larger breeds too.

I agree that if the stomach seems funny you should go to the vet - in fact - a checkup may be in order anyway since you don't know much about their history.

Latest posts

Back