Baby Bunny Jitters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutra

Reaction score
I have a new 8 week old mini rex/mini lop. Shes very tiny but very cute. I'm nervous though, when she is sitting by herself she (very) slightly sways . Shes very skinny, her bones can be felt easily and her ribs pretty well...but her tummy is almost like its swelled, like a balloon.Its not overly huge but when I pick her up it feels wierd for such a skinny bun to have such a tummy. She was in a cage with 4 other slightly larger rabbits, which means she was probably last to get any food. She ate alot when she got home, drank normally and ate alot of hay. Her poop seems semi-normal, sometimes perfect, sometimes round and semi dry with a little string almost. When she is in your arms she hardly moves ( which freaks me out, my other 11yr old rabbit cant be held at all!) but when I lay her on the ground she becomes a very alert little explorer...I just havent been able to enjoy her at all, and it kills.Also I caught her snatching a quarter of a tiny leaf of a Dahlietta 'Figaro' ( what the sticker said) Its such a tiny piece I'm somewhat sure she wont get ill...right? I guess its because of my last bunnies death ( at such a young age) over a sudden heart attack at the vets, he had an upper resperatory problem. Anyways I just wish to end this fear, Im going to a vet intwo weeks ( my pay) but I just wish to keep calm.

'Boo' seems pretty big in this picture, I assure you she isnt ^^

Thankyou

Her swollen belly could be from gas. You can give her baby gas meds (simethicone) for that. From the sound of it though she could use a vet check-up. It's not unusual for rabbits from petstores to be stressed out and even ill due to the conditions they were kept in. Maybe you could work something out with your vet to get her in sooner? A check-up shouldn't cost too much unless extra tests are needed. I know my vet is less expensive than most but he only charges $15.

Also, the "swaying" is normal. She will continue to do that for the rest of her life. It is actually fun and cute to watch. It is called "scanning".

This is a good site that tells about scanning. Ingore the stroke part. Your bunny didn't have a stroke. My Jersey Woolies do it all the time!

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/eye_scanning.html

Sharon

The "pot belly" may be a concern. I'd have a fecal float done for parasites and cocci. Pot belly can also be a result of protein deficiency.

The "swaying" may be a concern -- although not uncommon in rabbits with red eyes or a ruby glow to the eye, but I've never seen a tort rabbit "scan". Be certain the vet does a through examination of the eye. Entropian is not an uncommon disease in the lops that causes damage to the cornea.

She may just be slightly rocking as she's relaxing.

I also agree that she should be taken to the vet as soon as you can, since you are getting the feeling something may not be right.

Pam

Oh ok Thankyou all very much! I'm going to see what I can do. I called the vet yesterday and awaiting her to reply, thankyou again. I will go check her out as soon as possible now ^_~

Hey! Sorry for another question, i didnt want to waste space and create a new topic. Its about Boo again. She was sneezing, maybe...one a day av. a while ago but when I was holding her she did it three times, while cleaning her face alot. I know it sounds like Upper resperatory problems and I will be going to the vet as soon as possible, but I just would like to know what I can do for now. I tried to move her upstairs were it might be warmer but it was cooler than the basement ( blocked off all the air vents) but now it seems colder down here. I just dont want her life to end the same way as my baby Bauldrick, who had the same problem.
Thankyou very much

Is her nose running? A few sneezes isn't a major cause forconcern if it's not followed by a runny nose, weepy eyes,and in some causesmatted fur on the arms of his front legs from wiping hisnose.

I dont know how matted fur looks like...umm I see her nose isnt soggy, Very lightly..no crust or anything. Her eyes are clear and her ears are fine. I guess I'm just nervous. I moved into the much more warmer room of my sister.

She might have a middle case of 'snuffles'. Usually not to serious unless her nose is really running and it's a think yellow/white stuff. I'd just keep an eye on her?

Phew! Thanks! I'm going to get a vet check on her just for my nerves. Atleast I'll survive until then, I've been having anxiety attacks every time she sniffes! Lol Thansk agin! ^_~

Back