Baby Bunny care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnbunn

Reaction score
Ok so i adopted one of the baby bunnies i posted about. He or she is actually 6 weeks old. I googled when to offer hay and veggies but of course its mixed answers. So I'm here asking when hay and veggies are ok? Whats a good age to try and litter train? I was given about a weeks worth of food. I'll start transitioning tomorrow to whats available to me. I'm not changing anything else in his diet for awhile except for pellets. Its a feed store type pellet so i'll get something similar. I'll keep a good eye on him. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks:rabbithop

Start giving hay now! Hay is very important. Whether you give alfalfa or grass hay is up to you. But if you give alfalfa, start slowly, with just a pinch or two at a time because it causes stomach upset sometimes and soft poops. Grass hays ie, timothy, broome, coastal, orchard; are all okay to give.
I decided to mix the hay I had, I gave my bun coastal and alfalfa, because I've heard that sometimes alfalfa is hard to transition off of. You only give alfalfa until they're 6 months old and then you start on grass hay. And sometimes the buns like the alfalfa over the grass hay and its hard to switch.

For veggies, people usually say 12 weeks to 6 months, depending on how you're feeling about it. I started giving veggies somewhere in the middle because I also got a too young bunny.

Is clover safe for the baby? I knew to wait for veggies. I gave him/her Timothy since that's what I have and lots of it. My other bunnies eat it up. I know about Alfalfa 6 month thing. Thanks

Latest posts

Back