Baby Bunny Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosey442

Reaction score
Hi, I've been kind of reading various posts on this site to gain more bunny info.

I was just wondering as to some of my girl's behavior (she is a 14 week old lionhead). Whenever I go to pick her up from her cage, I just start talking to her as I approach her and then swoop her up against me with one hand under her butt and the other around her upper chest/neck held against my body. I then go and sit down and loosen my hold on her. She'll sometimes hop down to my lap, but she always comes back up to my neck/face. She does this really cute head bob. She also gives me bunny kisses. However, she now has started to turn around and face away from me while sitting on my upper chest. She kid of rubs her body against me and then turns back around to face me.

The whole time she's with me I talk to her softly telling her how pretty she is and what a good girl she is all the while gently petting her head and body.

Even as I gently put her down in her cage I talk to her. I then always give her more fresh hay along with some celery and carrot. She always acts kind of excited to get to her food.

I have read from other's posts concerning cage aggression; what is that? Just curious. Is this a stage all bunnies go through? Should I expect this from my girl?

I myself always talk to her as I approach her cage and she always comes towards me as I give her fresh water, pellets, hay or pick her up. She's never run from me nor tried to nip/bite me. Maybe I'm just lucky with her as her breeder held her, pet her since a few days of age, so she is quite used to it.

Oh, does her behavior when I hold her indicate she's comfortable/secure with me? I certainly hope so. If not, what can I do to increase it? Thanks. :thankyou:

Females are a little more prone to cage aggression especially as they reach sexual maturity because females are more territorial of their home. As Larry said, some rabbits have it, some don't. Are you planning on spaying her? Getting her fixed can sometimes, not always, help with cage aggression.
Sounds like her bunny kisses is her grooming you.

Sounds like a sweet bunny!! Our bunnies have never showed any cage aggression, but it is something that bunnies can sometimes develop. Hopefully yours will stay content and feel safe with you :)

Attention all forum members: if you have a 14 week old Lionhead, pictures MUST be posted:).

rosey442 wrote:
she now has started to turn around and face away from me while sitting on my upper chest. She kid of rubs her body against me and then turns back around to face me.

If you mean by her rubbing her body against you, that she is lowering her head and rubbing her chin on you, that is called chinning, and what she's doing is rubbing her scent on you to claim you as hers. Yes, that means she likes you :)

Here's a great website that explains different rabbit behavior and communication.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Back