Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p.popps

Reaction score
I am going to be picking up a baby bunny very soon. What hay or food should I use? I have heard many different opinions on alfalfa hay. I have heard that Timothy Hay is also very good. What should I use to feed a baby bunny that I will be getting as soon as it turns eight weeks? Any treats or items that are debatable please put in a reply, so that I can make sure that I hear the best opinions.

Where are you getting the baby from?
If from a breeder, they should supply you with a little baggy of their pellets to make it easy to transition to a new food.

Steer clear of pellet brands with colourful bits of food in them. They are not good. You want a solid pellet food.

No veggies, treats, grass, etc. until 4 to 6 months of age and then slowly introduce them. ;)

I'd offer all they can eat alfalfa and a timothy/orchard hay as well. They can only eat alfalfa up until 6 to 8 months of age, then it should be just straight timothy hay.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Where are you getting the baby from?
If from a breeder, they should supply you with a little baggy of their pellets to make it easy to transition to a new food.

Steer clear of pellet brands with colourful bits of food in them. They are not good. You want a solid pellet food.

No veggies, treats, grass, etc. until 4 to 6 months of age and then slowly introduce them. ;)

I'd offer all they can eat alfalfa and a timothy/orchard hay as well. They can only eat alfalfa up until 6 to 8 months of age, then it should be just straight timothy hay.

Emily
I will be getting my bunny from my neighbor whos bunny just had babies.

First off, would like to let you know that asking whoever you get your bunny from for a supply of food is a good start for your baby.

Since babies are very sensitive to change, changing food right away isn't good.

I feed my babies Oxbow for Young Rabbits once I slowly weaned them off from the food they were used to. This is an alfalfa based pellet, which alfalfa is essential for growing babies. I don't feed alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay to my new babies. I did for my first because one needed to gain weight. Feeding a good alfalfa pellet and Timothy Hay or even Orchard Hay would be IMHO a good start for your baby.

For treats, I did find alfalfa rings and will give my babies a treat once in a while. I do give them blades of wheat grass every day. It stimulates their appetite plus is good to help balance their bellies. I started with a blade a day at about 11 weeks old. It gave me a time to observe and get to know their poop. Know baby bunny poop is a major key to help make sure you are feeding your bunny right and his/her belly is accepting everything.

Veggies, some feed their babies veggies. I'm a bit nervous and maybe I should. Don't know yet. My husband is pushing for 5 months. With our first I waited until 6 months but I'm little experience in reading bunny poop so I've been thinking about going sooner. If you do, Start with one veggie and see how it goes. Just little tastes.

Sorry long winded, but just wanted to give you some help.

K:)

Latest posts

Back