Baby Bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
Dad is a solid blue out of a opal and a black. Mom is a black and orange tri-color but I know nothing of her parentage.

I am pretty sure I have 1 solid black, 1 broken black, 1 broken blue and2 mismarked broken blues. But I am just wondering that because opal is in Dad's pedigree is it possible that it might show up in the nestbox? I mean, I understand that blue is very recessive, but I don't quite have a 100% grasp on genetics yet to know if it is possible.

14734_110946_420000001.jpg

14734_110946_410000000.jpg

Blue is ressesive, your doe carries blue. There wouldnt be blue kits if she didnt carry it. Opal is agouti based and agouti is a dominate trait, so one or both parents have too be agouti (Opal is agouti and blue at the same time) to get agouti kits.

Pharfly wrote:
Blue is ressesive, your doe carries blue. There wouldnt be blue kits if she didnt carry it. Opal is agouti based and agouti is a dominate trait, so one or both parents have too be agouti (Opal is agouti and blue at the same time) to get agouti kits.

I never had any inkling that she might carry blue so this is really exciting for me. :D

I also have a chestnut doe. If I breed my blue buck to that chestnut doe, then I have a good chance of getting some opals in the nest. Am I right?

If your Chestnut carries blue you will have a chance at Opals(12.5% if they dont carry anything else) :) I wish animals came with a list of the colors they carry! That would make breeders lives so much easier! lol
I dont breed rabbits but I use too breed fancy mice, I could predict the litters. There are many good sites too learn genetics on thankfully :)

If your Chestnut carries blue you will have a chance at Opals(12.5% if they dont carry anything else) :) I wish animals came with a list of the colors they carry! That would make breeders lives so much easier! lol
I dont breed rabbits but I use too breed fancy mice, I could predict the litters. There are many good sites too learn genetics on thankfully :)

Because the dad is solid blue, he doesn't carry any opal. You're dealing with the A gene there--A=agouti (most dominant, required for Opal), at=tan (next dominant, this is what makes Otter), and a=solid/self.

Because your babies have a little pinking on them, I'd bet that Momma passed them a harlequin gene, so your babies will be a little striped (but heavy on the black/blue, so it might not be very obvious).

I'd say your litter is two broken blues, a broken black, a blue harlequin and a black harlequin, although like I said, the harlequin won't be really obvious. You might also find that the broken blues may end up being blue/fawn tricolors (fawn skin is kinda hard to tell from white)

Lighting must have been a little different on the younger pics, I know I too expected to see some fawn or orange tricolor in there somewhere.

Latest posts

Back