Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
I have three dwarf babies that where born on may 30th. When they where 3 days old mom decided to throw the nest around her cage and all the babies where left on the wire. I was able to save three and the 4th died. I have since removed the babies from mom and I bring them out to her every morning to feed them. They are now around 24 days old and I was wondering when I stop bringing them out for her to feed?

They have hay and food in their cage with them and I have seen them nibble on it a little bit. please if any one has had experience with this let me know.
They are really cute babies too, I am glad mom was nice enough to feed them for me or they would have never made it.

the youngest I would ever wean a rabbit is 6wks old and that is as long as I see them eating and drinking, I would also make sure to weigh them daily or every other day to make sure they are gaining weight

I usually wean between 4 and 6 weeks. Sometimes the mom and babies will tell you themselves; when you start to take them out and she's tired of feeding them and generally sick of them, you'll know, haha. That has never happened to me before 4 weeks, though and I probably would never attempt it. In nature it's 4 weeks.

I have Moms who are sick and tired of it by about 4 weeks on the nose and then I have another Mom who wants to keep doing it up until 6 weeks, and her babies are always really small so I let her.

Some commercial rabbitries that rebreed their does after kindling will wean the kits at 2-3 weeks, which is a bit harsh, since they're not quite ready to be on full pellet/hay diet, but it can work.

I'd suggest letting them nurse on her until she won't nurse them anymore (at least until they're 4 weeks, but closer to 6 is much better).

Also, you might want to devise a way of securing the nest box to the corner next time you let that doe kindle. I had to use some spring locks around my nestbox for one of my does that kept moving it while she was building her nest (and threatened to build the nest outside the box, between it and the cage wall!)

Yeah I thought about clipping the nest box to the side of the cage but she actually was scatching through the nest and throwing things out. She is really nice to them when she is feeding them though. They are doing so well. I am going to keep bringing her to them until she just doesn't want to anymore.

Wait like 2-3 weeks. It was blazing hot a couple weeks ago, when it's hot like that. My litters tend to wean themselves. They started eating and drinking a lot of water around 3 weeks old. I don't even see them latch on to mom. Mom has two more weeks with them and I'm sure she hates it

The babes and mom will tell you when they are ready to be weaned

Latest posts

Back