Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I've been away for a while - computer issues.
To give an update, on Jan 3, the neighbor's dog tore apart our rabbit hutch. Patches didn't make it.

Last month, a co-worker gave me another bunny that her ex-boyfriend's family had dumped with her. I realized that he was a boy and housed him separately until I found him another home.

Well, quickly wasn't quick enough. I fed Twilight today and saw blood in her hutch. I checked her over and then looked in her sleeping area. Yup, a big pile of fur and at least 2 baby bunnies. I didn't want to disturb them (I was grooming the dogs and hadn't washed up.)

She is on Nutrena pellets, with a constant supply of timothy hay available. She also gets veggies and fresh grass now that it's finally growing.

What do I need to do? My first thought is to just leave the babies alone and let her do her thing with them. I just want to make sure that she has everything she needs in her diet.

Is the mom housed outside or away from the elements? Hows the weather? If its cold i would try to find a shoebox or something with four walls to put them in, You can cut a half moon in one side so its easy for the mom to jump in and out but dont make it too big or babies will escape. They will open their eyes around 10-14 days if one doesnt you can help by wiping the eye with a warm wet paper towel to help it.
Check on the babies each day and make sure they have a 'ping pong' belly. This means mom is doing a good job. You check for belly size because mom rabbits feed usually when we arent watching and right after/before dusk or dawn.

If a mod wants to move this thread you can feel free to ask tons of questions and get more responses.
Also look around at the other baby subthreads in the Rabbitry and Showroom thread these might give you ideas or help answer any questions.

I found a ton of info in the other section. Does seem like her diet is good.

She made her nest in the sleeping box. Full of hay, lined with fur, and babies covered over with fur. She was still bleeding when I found them, so they were very newborn. I didn't want to disturb her too much; opening the box made her anxious.
I took a quick rough count - either 5 or 6.

that was a bit off. there are 7. little fat bellies, lively and squeaking. I will try to take a couple of small pics tomorrow.
I'm a bit nervous because I disturbed her nest. She went in and checked on them then came back out.

ETA: I made her a separate sleeping area, in case she doesn't want to be in the hutch with them. I know that they actually dont spend a lot of time in the nest, just in and out to feed.

I'm starting another thread in the other section. I'm going to post 1 or 2 pictures, so that everyone can see them if they want. I didn't take pictures of all 7, just some general shots.

All doing well this morning. fat and lively. squealing like made the second you disturb them. Mama is being very friendly, not aggressive.

Latest posts

Back