Baby Bunnies out of the nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
A few days ago I discovered the two babies of Cloud's litter in the middle of the hutch on top of the straw. i nearly had a heart attack. They were only 5 days old then. By the way they are the fattest babies i have ever seen in my life. they look like little ping pong balls with legs:)
thankfully they were only slightly chilly and they warmed up nicely once put back into the nest. I have added more straw to the hutch and Cloud seems to have raised the sides of the nest. I have been paranoid since that this may happen again.
it is still quite cold and night temperatures go as low as zero. I have been getting up at dawn to check every morning and i check last thing at night. i am just wondering at what stage I can relax a little and they would be safer if accidentally dragged out of the nest?

I don't have any advice, but my litter has done the same thing.

I put up barricades high enough to keep them in, with barely enough room for mom to get in and out. that I think has helped. I never knew that baby bunnies were so lively!

I had this problem last year.. how big is the rabbit and how big is the nest box??
the mom is most likely pulling them out when she jumps out of the box.. last year was the first time I had a lot of problems with it..

babies are always popping out of the nest like popcorn. And usually the fatest are always loose lol. Just put them back in and try to get higher sides. Make sure there is baby saver wire on the sides of your cage because babies can get out this is how we lost one of my brits. It just disappeared and we found it behind the pool table that next morning. So sad.

As far as the hay put it towards the back and have the front as low as possible. We put cardboard on the bottoms of ours but leave it as one layer towards the front, this usually helps. Also my mom will always move the babies to the back of the nest before nighttime.

You can usually relax around day 10 to 14 once they open their eyes they begin to explore more and this is fine as long asyou have some kind of step or they are able to hop back in easily. Good luck

Latest posts

Back