Baby bunnies on grass?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkintheroad

Reaction score
What age is it safe to put kits ongrass? My female rabbit has 6 babies that are 4 weeks old.They were born and raised in a "typical hutch" one on four legs with anindoor section and an outdoor section. Today i moved them ( mom andbabies) to a 4x4 pen on the grass. They still have mom withthem, same food, same hay, and of course water. My question is will themove or sudden access to grass be likely to harm them? Thank you foryour advice.

Terri

Thank you for your response. They seem to bedoing well and are certainly enjoying the room to run around. I willtry to post pictures tomorrow.

By the way, lol, I am not sure if I have ever introduced myself.

My name isTerri; I live in Camden, Ohio, am a 35 yearoldwife and mother withmany different animals butthe ones that apply here are of course my 6 rabbits.

Honey Buns a 3 year old female Holland Lop

TheWicked White Witch (used to beSugar until I got to know her, lol) a 3 year oldLop mix

Cadbury a 2 year old female dwarf

A mixed breed male that is a recue from a neighbor

Foggie a1 year old male dwarf (Daddy bunny)

and Mama bunny is a medium to large mixed breed Petsmart Bunny that I haven't named yet.

Warmest Welcome Arkintheroad,

As long as the grass isn't treated, their mom is still feeding them andwith them, they have everything you pointed out, and have some pelletsavailable to nibble on, all should be fine. You've probably noticed anincrease in having to clean their nestbox since they've startednibbling on the pellets.

If the weather is cold where you are, you may wish to keep a nestbox available a bit longer.

At four weeks, the mother will gear up for the weaning process. Shenurses them less often and the babies start to go towards the solidfood. Weaning can start at 5 weeks. By 8 weeks, the little ones areusually eating pellets and drinking water.

The picture is adorable. :)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back