Baby bunnies!!! Bout 2wks old...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunnies babies r bout 2weeks old on how they look&when I found them n the cage. Their n their cage, which her Boxnest is 1level from the bottom.so she goes up and down the top 2and there's 4 levels.yesterday they were out hopping;) around and the curious one outta the 4climbed slowly all the way up the ramp 2the next level.I don't want them 2fall. So I'm wondering what I should do. Im not sure if I should touch them or move them anywhere else. Worried bout what she'll do if I handle them.... I was thinkn if I do move them 2the bottom, I'm sure the babies will still climb the ramps.
ALSO...I wasthinkn if I movedthem 2the bottom if I could put our big baby gate around n a circle and let them out for a bit with mama bunny to excersise. THX guys;)
I've heard so many times from people that if I touch the babies she'll kill them or Hurt them or abandon them...Whats TRUE?????

It's be so unlikely that you can ignore the possibility. Even in the wild it'd be unlikely that a person moving baby rabbits a short distance would cause the mother to abandon them. It'd take their no longer smelling like rabbits, which would take a lot of handling & maybe a dog getting after then first. Plus wild rabbits are more wary of humans than even timid pet rabbits.

If your bunny is friendly and trusts you then you should be able to pick the babies up because the mum knows your not a threat.. i picked my bunnies up on the day they were born.. also you should start holding them now so they get used to human contact.. and bunnies can tell when there is a big drop especially baby bunnies, as i could leave the top door of their hutch open and none would jump out.. you could add an x-pen to the cage then block of the levels, but use an x-pen so they still have space :)

In tryn 2figure out how 2get pix from my phone 2 my iPod...cuz my iPod touch dont have a camera.I'll figure it out then post them.I hav alot...their sooooo cute;)

I handle my babies from the minute they're born (all mine have been born in the late morning, early afternoon). Even Rosa, my "don't touch me or my cage" rabbit is fine with me handling them. When they're just born and up until a week old, I just pick them up to make sure they're well fed, alive, etc. I flip them over on their backs, to check bottoms. Then, from a week on, they get handled multiple times a day. I check bellies, toes, flip them over for a while, etc., all so they're used to being handled. A rabbit, especially one that knows you're the feed/treat person, is pretty tolerant. Plus they only nurse once or twice a day. When you put them back in they've usually been in the nest for quite a while before she hops in to feed them, so they've got the nest smell back on them and yours is practically gone.

Latest posts

Back