Baby Bunnies and food...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandz2710

Reaction score
Right...this isn't the first time I've had bunnies but I'm a little confused and keep getting conflicting pieces of advice soooooo I shall ask here! :DMy babies are 6/7weeks old, I bought them from a reputable pet "shop" (it's a little kinda pet park where children can go and cuddle the animals etc but they also sell them as well) Anywhoooos...I'm not sure on what to feed them at all. I have rabbit dried food, a good mix with different bits and pieces in it from my local pet shop but read on the piece of paper that the place I bought them from gave me that NO FRESH FOOD should be given within the first 6 months...now I'm sure I fed my old bunnies Dusty and Geri fresh greens before they were 6 months old and they were fine. My friend at work (who also has bunnies) said they shouldn't even be down on the grass either...:foreheadsmack:so now I don't know. They have a run and they go in the garden (not for very long at a time at the moment) so they are on the grass...am I doing it all wrong?! What else can I feed them other than their dried food (as I feel they may get bored of this)?! I've given them some hay (in limited amounts) and some bread every now and again...and some brocolli...but I fear that I may be doing it all wrong!!! :huhMy friend said that her daughters bunny died from having too many greens too early...I don't want that fate to happen on my babies too! :nerves1

Any response is much appreciated...
*hugs* from SandZ, Sora and Kairi xxx

Sudden diet changes and the rabbit gorging itself on greens when it is not used to a diet of greens is the major concern. Spring grass can be very rich and may cause intestinal problems if given in large amounts.

Small amounts of greens can be introduced at any age -- our babies get small amounts of dandelion leaves or oat grass as soon as they are out of the nestbox.

Cut back on the amount if droppings become soft.

Moderation is the key!

Pam

I've not been giving them a lot of greens at all. A couple of little brocolli pieces and mainly dried food. They don't go out for long either, maybe a couple of hours at the most. Well at least I know I am not doing things incredibly wrong then *phew* :cool:

Any ideas on what else I can introduce to their diet that are not classed as greens but would be useful for growth, strong bones and a healthy diet?! Or can you direct me to any helpful websites?!

Many thanks :bunnydance:

For the pellets, those fnacy ones with the little treat bits aren't usually the best choice (better to switch early on).Most rabbits will pick out teh colourful shaped bits and leave the pellets, which can lead to some gi upsets with the high carbohydrates and sugar from the candy. It's also hard when the rabbits get used to the candy bits to change them. If you can, maybe gradually mix the candy and pellet with a plain, high fiber pellet? Babies can be fed unlimited pellets as well.

It's ok to give them a tiny bit of fresh food. Probably your friends daughter gave a whole pile of veggies that the system can't handle (At any age if not introduced gradually). Just do what you're doing, and limit the vegetables to a small portion. With the grass, just keep a good watch out for the poops. If they are handling all the fresh stuff good, there poops should be well formed and firm, if they are having a bit of trouble, they can be a bit of the mushy side.

You can give a grass hay like timothy, oat ect in unlimited quantities to rabbits. Maybe just add it to their diet gradually. If you want, you can also give them a bit of alfalfa hay too (maybe a handful a day). Just watch out that they don't produce an over excessive amount of cecels (night droppings that they consume) due to the high protien with the hay and thte pellets.

Fantastic! Thank you...at least I KNOW I'm not doing wrong...:DI'm going to go and get some high fibre pellets and mix them with the current rabbit food that I am getting and keep introducing things slowly one at a time. My old rabbits used to LOVE cabbage leaves, kale, carrot tops and things like that so hopefully as my babies grow I shall try them on these things too :)They are getting hay every other day at the moment too...

Wow, thank you for the advice and the encouraging words. Theirpoops are quite firm and well formed, no mushy ones as yet - so that's encouraging to hear as well! :DEspecially with the summer months looming up and the heat, I don't want mushy poops as these attract the flies badly - one of my last bunnies caught fly strike twice bless her :?!

Well yes...any other advice is gratefully accepted and appreciated. I wouldn't consider myself a "new rabbit owner" just a bit of a rusty one ;)

Hi and welcome, they say that rabbits should have unlimted hay. We have 4 bunnies, two of ours eat alot of hay, we are constantly filling up their dish and rack.

"The Books" say that brocolli can make bunnies gassy. We've never had that problem 3 of our 4 absolutey love it.

Soooska:apollo:

Back