Babies on the way!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:(

On a brighter note, she just gave birth to four beautiful babies. :biggrin:We stayed by her cage since she didnt mind it. She made her nest in the corner of the cage rather than inher box so we let her have them there. Afterwards gave her salad and she was a happy mommy. <3 From the looks of it, there's a blue, one black and white, one light grey with white, and the forth is either a very light grey or some other light color. He/she was inside the nest so was hard to see. I'm excited to watch them grow every day and have them in the family. Will have pictures shortly.

You want to make sure they are in the nesting box with fur, And if they are outdoors I would bring in the box and take out to their mommy at morning and at night!

They are indoors, do I move the entire nest into the box? She hasn't pulled much fur. And should I wear gloves or will she not mind my scent?

Also, pictures. :) The babies were all over the place at first as she was too busy building her nest and they wandered off but I have them all in now.

011-2.jpg

021-1.jpg

025-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

027-4.jpg

042-3.jpg

Its okay to touch them, But I would move them into an box with her fur, And also pull some from her belly and butt area, They need to be in fur so they wont be frozen and die. I had to pull extra fur from a few mothers, But the babies are all over the place and the momma can accidentally step on them and kill them, So I would move them in the box.

I moved them into the box now and put in as much fur as I found. Going to get off her loose fur now.

Do not be afraid to actually pull fur from her chest and belly to reveal her "feeding ports" so it is easier for the babies to nurse.

I tried to find some loose fur her to take out but she had none, I feel too horrible pulling out her fur. :(I know she's nursed her babies before though so I'm not worried about that.

Went down this morning to check on her and the babies, she had dug out a small part of the nest and one of the babies was out of the nest alone near the food bowl and a little cold. Picked him up and warmed him up, put him in the nest and he seems to be doing fine now. Another thing is she's only fed 2 of them by the looks of their bellies. Should I wait till next time she feeds them or try getting the mom to feed them?

Back