Babies/kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreonollie

Reaction score
I have a female bunny named Oreo. She is a black and white rabbit and is about 5:littlecake she has had about 4 litters of young ones with my other rabbit bun-bun. He is a pure black rex-I think mix. Only two of Oreo's litters lasted and is the most recent one. They were born March 18th 2012. And are now with different families. I am thinking of breeding her again today (1/21/13) or tomorrow. But I do not know if it is to cold in winter, is it? and is Oreo to old? Is she an unsuccessful mother?:help

The cage is outdoor( the bunnies are separated, but in the same structure) we have a nesting box, that we put into her cage when she needs it.We can open the lid of it.But one time she stuffed the whole box with her nesting material and suffocated her babies, because she dug her way in and out for feeding time.:cry1::nono

I would not breed her. She is to old. Also you should only breed if you are breeding to improve the breed and if you have homes lined up for the babies. What breed is she and have you had a judge look at her to determine if she is worthy of breeding? Also it sounds like she is not the best mother. I give my mothers 1 failed chance at raising a litter. I can understand if their first litter does not make it due to weather or her not being a good mom. If she fails to raise a second litter I find her a new pet home or keep her as a pet for myself if she is special enough. (You can not keep every rabbit). Overall I think that you should not breed her. She needs to go into retirement. I do not think that does should have litters past 3-4 years of age at the most. Bucks can have litters for a couple more years. Your rabbit is WELL past breeding age.

Some does can still have litters at 5 years, but if yours hasn't had a litter in almost a year then I'm not sure how successful you will be at breeding her now, and have them be healthy. It sounds like she's been kind of hit or miss on keeping her litters alive. It may be best to retire her.

Well I meant the first three. She raised those litters successfully. And I have a home that has been looking for bunnies. And we have no clue what breed she is. My father thinks that one more litter would be safe. but this is most likely going to be her final year here with us. My dad always sends my old rabbits to farmers who kill them, and then eat them. And I feel that giving her one more chance would be good. She is such a loving bunny.

I would not breed her! Why are you breeding a rabbit when you don't even know what it is? There are so many homeless bunnies. I'm sure you mean well as she sounds sweet, but please don't.

Who sends pet rabbits to be eaten? Is this an american thing? Never heard of this in the UK :S

I wouldn't say it is an 'American' thing. Most people I know who even breed both pet and meat rabbits distinguish them and wouldn't eat a pet because they are too bony anyhow. It wouldn't be worth the work to clean and dress it. They are generally different breeds. Now if there were a homeless pet new zealand, there is probably someone who would eat it....

Okay listen up people. My dad means no harm. It is what he bred rabbits for in his home land. I do not support in fact I am against it. So please no more negative comments. I am not breeding her. I have another bunny I will breed. Okay so please stop!!!!!!!!!! And someone left her at our door step. So we had to take her in. If you found a cute baby bunny at you door step in winter would you save it???? I just was wondering. No more please!!!!!!

What breed is your other rabbit that you are going to breed? Do you have homes already waiting for a baby bun? Whydoyou want to breed? It won't make your bunny happier or calmer.

Okay listen up people. My dad means no harm. It is what he bred rabbits for in his home land. I do not support in fact I am against it. So please no more negative comments. I am not breeding her. I have another bunny I will breed. Okay so please stop!!!!!!!!!! And someone left her at our door step. So we had to take her in. If you found a cute baby bunny at you door step in winter would you save it???? I just was wondering. No more please!!!!!!

It's okay, and you made the right decision. Even though some of us don't like raising meat rabbits, we should all be respectful that this is not an uncommon thing at all. Be sure to post pics of the babies when your other doe has them!

I don't mind people raising rabbits for meat, but it would not be efficient to raise common pet breeds such as a lionhead for food.

my dad and I have made a decision. we called up some people and they want to take the bunny. THEY WILL NOT EAT IT. They have kids, and have always wanted a bunny. But having a baby one is just to unsafe. The couple and there kids live in middle Wisconsin. they are driving down right now. she will be gone in a couple of hours.

Latest posts

Back