Babies arrived

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LV426

Reaction score
20210519_112520.jpg

Well they finally arrived. 5 wiggly babies. They all seem healthy and not missing appendages. I quickly checked them and covered them back up. Do I check them every day? Do I leave them alone? I feel like a nervous mother. I am totally unprepared for this but I do have KMR and bottles on hand just in case.

Congrats!!!

Yes, check every day, carefully, sitting on the ground over a soft surface or with the nest box still on the floor of the mom's pen/cage, as they can be quite squirmy and just try and pop right out of your hand. I would make sure to wash hands first with an unscented soap. Then check twice a day(at least). You want to make sure they are being fed, so aren't dehydrated and wrinkly, that at least once a day they have a nice full milk belly, though sometimes it can be tricky to figure out the exact time mom is feeding them. Once or twice a day, usually either early morning or late evening.

If by 24-36 hours they haven't been fed and are wrinkly, you will probably need to intervene. Though holding them to mom to nurse is the best way, as hand feeding formula carries an extremely high risk of aspiration pneumonia occurring, which will be fatal if it happens. If you have to assist holding to mom, it needs to be done carefully and preferably with a helper, as you don't want them to get kicked or thrown if mom struggles.

Make sure to work mom up to unlimited or close to unlimited pellets, preferably alfalfa based pellet, free fed a grass hay as well. They need a ton of calories for nursing, usually 3-4 times the amount of food they normally get.

And enjoy the experience. They grow up so fast!

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

She's already been on unlimited hay and pellets as she and her mate were rescues I took in. They were underweight so they've been eating unlimited since I got them. I did pick up some additional alfalfa hay yesterday and put that in with her and they've been getting hay cubes on top of that. When I picked them up to check them today I wore gloves and then petting mom to get her scent on the gloves before I handled them. I wasn't sure if rabbits care about scent on babies the way some animals do so I treated them like I do wildlife babies. The one rehab/rescue I've never done is bunnies because the few times we've had baby bunnies come in they usually die within 24 hours from stress or trauma.

I will keep an eye on their tummies and make sure they all get a chance at the milk bar. :)

Sorry, I think you did discuss her feeding in another thread. With all the discussions in each thread I'm responding to, I don't always remember what I've said to who.

Rabbits aren't usually so concerned about scent, unless you maybe you had cat or dog smell on your hands. But there are some does that can be extra sensitive and protective. So I just outright recommend playing it safe. Plus it's just good practice to have clean hands, free of bacteria and any other possible residue that could possibly be harmful to new babies. Though after a few days and you get a better feel of how the mom is with her babies, you may be able to relax on your sanitation routine if she isn't too much of a stressy overprotective mum.

Here's the doe and buck. Doe is a bew and the buck is silver? Not sure what his coloration is considered.

The babies are doing well. All 5 still warm and wiggly. They aren't wrinkly so I'm assuming she's fed them.

Attachments

• 20210427_165651.jpg
    20210427_165651.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210427_170219.jpg
    20210427_170219.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 5
They look nice and healthy! Glad she's feeding them well without any problems. That's always the biggest hurdle to get past. You've got some cute little bubs there 💕 Makes me miss raising baby buns. It's a fun experience, and goes by far too quickly.

Well we're at day 4 and all 5 are doing well. Everyone seems to be a good weight and all their fat little tummies are filled with milk. They were making little grunty noises this morning during pictures. Their little ears are so adorable.

Question, should I clean the nest box out at all or just leave them alone? I noticed some little baby poops in the nest.

Attachments

• 20210522_093554.jpg
    20210522_093554.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210522_093501.jpg
    20210522_093501.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210522_093444.jpg
    20210522_093444.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210522_093429.jpg
    20210522_093429.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210522_093411.jpg
    20210522_093411.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210522_093349.jpg
    20210522_093349.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2
You could do some spot cleaning here or there, take away poos when there accumulate too many and sometime later replace some of the soiled nesting material for a cleaner one. But i think it's best if you don't go disturbing them now. At about 3 weeks when they start to explore might be a good idea, but i'm not so sure as i've never had litters myself (never even had a she-bun), it's what i've been casually reading up on from this forum. Good luck watching the kits grow up!

If mom's peeing in there or it's getting damp, you do need to clean out the damp stuff and put in fresh, while trying to retain as much of the mom's clean fur as you can. But usually you can wait until around day 10-14, right before their eyes open, to do a good clean of the nest box, still keeping as much of the clean fur as you can.

Then about 2-3 weeks is when they are venturing out of the nest box. If they can't get back in easily, you either need to provide a ramp so they can, or you can turn the nest box(or use other cubby hole) on it's side and make a cosy spot for them to snuggle in with a pile of hay or safe bedding of some sort.

If the nest box on it's side isn't strong or big enough for mom to hop on and you don't have any other shelf or high place for her, she'll need one so she can get away from hungry babies when she needs a rest and a break from them. I remember my does look when those babies first escaped from their nest and there were 5 little ones looking for her. It was a look of pure panic before she hopped into the litter box to 'hide' from them :p

No mom pee, she has her own litterbox on the other side. I just noticed baby poops when I did my check this morning and I don't want them to get sick. I'll keep an eye on it and refresh their nest as needed.

Latest posts

Back