Babies again?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagliph

Reaction score
So, I am new here, but I have a bit of a situation. My husband found a stray bunny along the side of the road when heading to work one day. He kindly took her in and we tried to find her owner. Of course, when I discovered it was a girl I assumed the "worst" - that she was pregnant. Sure enough 3 weeks later she gave birth to four lovely babies, two boys and two girls.

Since then the babies have been weaned and I've found homes for two so far. I'm hoping to home the other two, though if one female remains it's ok.

So... here is the problem. Momma is nesting again. I have had the bunnies outside. They have been in their cage, a two-story wire cage with 1/4" wire. After weaning my mother (who was bunnysitting while I was away) put Alice into a dog crate outside with more like 2" wiring. I suppose Alice might have been able to escape, but there is no sign that she did. Alice has also been on a harness and leash outside, but never unsupervised.

Is it possible that she got bred through the wires? Do you think a wild male might have gotten into the dog crate?

I hadn't spayed Alice yet as I had no intention of keeping any males, and considering she was a stray I hadn't exactly budgeted for a rabbit spay... Is she is indeed having more bunnies I will be spaying her after weaning.

As for nesting behaviour, she is carrying around straw in her mouth and digging around a lot. I've added a nesting box and more fresh straw and she seems MUCH happier.

Is it possible for bunnies to have false pregnancies? (I know - I'm dreaming...)

Any advice is welcome. I want to a responsible bunny owner, but I am still learning as I go :halo

From how it sounds, it's unlikely that's that she's pregnant. Usually false pregnancies are caused by an unfertile mating, but I suppose hormone fluctuations or pheromones from nearby buns...

I would still provide her a nest box just in case. If she doesn't have any kits in the next 5 or so days, assume it was a false pregnancy. If she does have kits, you'll need to figure out how to proof her cage better.

Hi,
It is entirely possible that she is having a false pregnancy, they are common in unspayed buns. Is there still any male babies in her cage? If so, what age are they? They can be sexually mature from about 12 weeks. I'm not sure about the type of wild rabbits you have in Canada, but I know in the US, wild rabbits 'Cotton Tails' cannot breed with domestic rabbits. If it was a stray domestic rabbit you would most likely see it because it would stay hanging around her cage.

I'm fairly sure it is just a false pregnancy, but I'd be prepared just in case.

I really hope you guys are right. She's fully lined her nest with fur now. I can't feel anything, but I'm not exactly a vet lol. I've been so careful, or so I thought... I don't know what type of bunny she is, I'm guessing something like a Rex, but I didn't know that they can't cross with wild rabbits. As for males, I weaned the babies over a few days when they were 6 weeks old, so they can't have bred her. They are 10 weeks now. It will be a real relief if there are no more babies - I've not even homed the first batch yet - still have two (though I might keep the one girl). I don't want to get into rabbit breeding :shock:

Thanks so much for the comments. I will keep you guys updated as the day goes. Last time she had them within 24 hours of nesting with fur. I will be talking to my hubby about booking a spay though :big wink:

Any thing that can happen will happen--that darned Murphy. But, don't think it is so. You can palpitate her belly for lumpy little squiggly things. We've had neutered bunnies do the same thing.

Even when neutered? oh boy Though once she's spayed I will know for sure it is false. I just know that when a critter wants to be bred it can happen... it's happened with the horses before - mares somehow like to escape just to go visit my stallion who is happily hanging out in his own paddock...

Well, no babies yet. She goes through an active stage, then is quiet as usual. I'm pretty sure it must be false. I can't imagine any tame bunnies running around here - too many coyotes. I was more worried about a wild bunny, but since that's not possible... Must say it is a relief :)

I have a female doing the same thing! Only she got kind of mean and since she lined her litter pan with fur, she started pooping beside it and on her shelf and was peeing in a corner but then I put a box there.

Latest posts

Back