Babette is sick with some respiratory infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rushed Babette a 6 yr old mini-lop to the onlyvet I could find this Am as she is coughing and sneezing up clearfluids and breathing harder. She has never been sick at all in her lifeand I am thinking that I brought this in with the rescue bunny in theother room. The vet gave me IM Baytril for a week. I heardWillow cough once when I got home but it may have been thatshe was chewing on a wicker basket and it went down wrong. The vet saidthat I could separate them but that they have already been exposed.Babette is the rabbit bonded to Beau who just had dental surgery at thebeginning of this month so he is recovering and dependent on her. I amafraid I am going to lose all my rabbits Help. I posted on rabbitry toas they deal in numbers.

Prayersfor you and your buns.

One thing I couldsuggest is to use a nebuliser machine withsterile saline solution. We got the loan of a portable nebuliser fromthe vet hospital for Miffy when she had her respitory infection - wejust taped up the vents on her carry case and filled the cup with thesaline solution and let it steam up her box with her inside, we had todo this 3 times a day for 10 minutes a time.

It certainly helped her breathe easier. She, too, was prescribedBaytril. We were not advised to seperateher from Munchkinthough - and he was fine.

All the very best...

mummybunny xx

:pray::pray::pray:

Lots of disinfecting could help. Keep your hands washed, bleach everything you can regularly, etc.

I'm surprised the vet only gave you enough antibiotics for aweek. Was that so you could switch to something else if thatdidn't work? She'll probably need more than that.Also, is Beau on antibiotics from the surgery? If not itmight be worth asking if preventative antibiotics would be a good ideafor him.

babette seems like she is a little better thisAm ..I am judging that by whether or not I can hear her chest when shebreathes. It is quieter than yesterday but I can still hear it. She iseating OK and has no discharge around eye or nose..seems to be in herchest and neck not face area. Beau's antibiotic were up about 5 daysago and yes it would be a good idea to get him back on something. iprobably will not go back to same vet as Sat..not sure....either he hasseen so many rabbits he can tell things fairly quickly or he is notthat good..I don't know. He did not listen to her heart or take hettemp just said "she feels warm"...he called back yesterday and said icould start Willow on baytril using Babette's injections until Mon andthen he would give me more. Willow was a fluke as she seems normal..theone cough may have been from chewing on a piece of Wicker basket ormaybe this thing develops slowly..I am a wreck but she does seems alittle better today..I am running a vaporizer...also when I gave herthe injection she moved and I hope I didn't get any on her skin. Icleaned a lot of the Bunny room with hydrogen peroxide and vinegar butthey all were exposed. I have a shelter mini-lop in a cage in mybathroom (she was spayed)..is it possible that she is a carrier???anything more I can do fro babette?? Thanks everyone

Hi Angieluv. Sorry, I don't have any advice foryou, but I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and yourbunnies, and I hope Babette gets better. :pray:

Back