Babes on the way (possibly) what should I expect?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbaland

Reaction score
First I would like to state I didn't breed the bunnies. I took in a very sweet broken black New Zealand a few days ago and her owner JUST called me saying she may have bred with her pure Mini Rex BEW before I took her home. :shock: If she does deliver, what kind of babies should I expect? (I know how to feel for kits and the care for a pregnant doe but it's much too early to tell.)

Father is BEW. His pedigree is mainly solids and Vienna marked. No REW. Momma is a New Zealand broken black, her father was REW and her mother was broken black.

Do I have this right?
Dad = vv,enen,CC
Mom = Enen,aa,Cc

Enen x enen = 50% broken
vv x VV = 100% carriers (if mother isn't Vv?)

Are the babies going to be BEW carriers? I read that the REW is dominant? So does that mean even one copy of REW will destroy the Vv (BEW)? Will the be VV?

I am very lost. I've had some of my fosters kindle but truth have it, I never had the chance to know the father.

From what I have learned REW is not dominant with the colour pairings with it being "cc" not "CC" and yes all of the kits would be vienna carriers or vienna marked. So if I have this right you would get
50% solid
50% broken
of that 100% would Vienna marked or Vienna carriers
there is the possibility of having a REW in the litter in which case the REW would mask whether said kit is solid or broken vienna marked or vienna carrier

countrybuns wrote:
From what I have learned REW is not dominant with the colour pairings with it being "cc" not "CC" and yes all of the kits would be vienna carriers or vienna marked. So if I have this right you would get
50% solid
50% broken
of that 100% would Vienna marked or Vienna carriers
there is the possibility of having a REW in the litter in which case the REW would mask whether said kit is solid or broken vienna marked or vienna carrier

THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is so very helpful!

When you say that REW will mask do you mean both the genotype and phenotype or just the phenotype?

Again as far as I know I am just getting a grasp on this;
It would block the phenotype but not the genotype. A REW rabbit still has whatever genetic code it inherited from its parents but the only way you could tell what it's genetic make up is would be to breed the REW to a rabbit who's genetic code you are certain of. From the kits that were thrown in that breeding you could begin to decipher the possible genetic code.

countrybuns wrote:
Again as far as I know I am just getting a grasp on this;
It would block the phenotype but not the genotype. A REW rabbit still has whatever genetic code it inherited from its parents but the only way you could tell what it's genetic make up is would be to breed the REW to a rabbit who's genetic code you are certain of. From the kits that were thrown in that breeding you could begin to decipher the possible genetic code.

Alrighty then! Thanks! I think I get it. :)

Latest posts

Back