Avon & Scentsy & more? (How much is too much ??)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the thing: all of these home-based businesses depend a lot on you to devote a lot of time and effort into doing them. Also, the way they communicate with their representatives makes it sound like it is the rep's fault if they're not selling enough, which may not always be the case. I don't want you to get depressed and feel down on yourself if the market just isn't there and you don't have a ton of success, you know what I mean? Also, these companies can make you into feeling like all you can talk about is their product--you become defined by your job because you feel that if you're not talking about other stuff you're not working hard enough. That's just my take on the situation. If you can do it, find balance and not be working for them 24/7, and make as much as you want to, then go for it. :)

tonyshuman wrote:
Here is the thing: all of these home-based businesses depend a lot on you to devote a lot of time and effort into doing them. Also, the way they communicate with their representatives makes it sound like it is the rep's fault if they're not selling enough, which may not always be the case. I don't want you to get depressed and feel down on yourself if the market just isn't there and you don't have a ton of success, you know what I mean? Also, these companies can make you into feeling like all you can talk about is their product--you become defined by your job because you feel that if you're not talking about other stuff you're not working hard enough. That's just my take on the situation. If you can do it, find balance and not be working for them 24/7, and make as much as you want to, then go for it. :)
Thanks for your input Claire - I appreciate it.

I've done some direct selling with other in-home companies over the years and other than one company - I've never ever felt the way you've mentioned. I sold Usborne books for a couple of years - loved it and did fairly well at it. I sold Creative Circle Needlecrafts twice (once pre-kids and once after kids) and really enjoyed that also.

I've never found that anyone has made me feel like if I'm not talking about their stuff I'm not working hard enough. (Then again - if I like what I'm doing - I like to talk about it too!).

What I'm trying to do is align myself with companies where I like the products myself - and I would be willing to pay those prices for those products.

I looked at a couple of companies and went "nope - not for me". One was Longaberger (sp?) Baskets...nice products I'm sure. But I couldn't pay those prices (and I could join that for free and just get the paperwork and catalogs and stuff for the free kit).

I looked at Willow House - another nice company (they used to be Southern Living). Again - great products - but not my price range.

I am looking at Celebrating Home (they used to be Home Interiors) - very interested in it - but trying to decide if it would be a conflict of interest with Scentsy since they do sell candles also.

One company that I worked with - TWICE - would push new consultants to buy inventory - usually a minimum of $600. They talked about how you can't sell out of an empty basket - or something like that.

That isn't what I'm looking for - I'm looking for things where I have a reasonable minimum sales requirement - and where I'm not required to keep inventory. While I do currently have some inventory in Avon to do craft fairs, etc. - its stuff I chose to buy and I am totally in charge of how much I carry. (Same with Scentsy).

One of the things that really impressed me this week - was taking a couple of the online classes with Scentsy. In Avon - the classes deal with your business - how to handle your money so you know how much is yours vs. Avon's, learning about the products, learning about the website, meeting and talking to customers, etc. There are probably about 50 courses there for Avon reps to take.

Scentsy also has courses - but one was on how to organize your office so that it functions well for you. Another one was on how to balance your personal life with your business so you can have the life you want. (I was listening to it and doing it and going, "This reminds me of Stephen Covey" - and sure enough...that's what itw as based on - much of his writings). It was based upon setting priorities so you can live the life you want - both personal - and business - because you're doing what matters most to you.

I already know that my third company will be Thirty-One Gifts because I like their products a lot.

I guess I have a different perspective on these than most folks because the way I see it - I'm mainly letting folks know that I order once or twice a month - versus getting out there and seeking customers and business (like I am with Avon).

Anyway - thanks for your input Claire - it does mean a lot to me that someone would come in here and share that side of things!

:biggrin:

Just wanted to say I added my third company today.

Because I am (and always will be) - a kid at heart....

DISCOVERY TOYS!

Long story - I may add more later...

Not quite sure if you are still interested in joining Scentsy or want to host a party and earn free product I would love to share more information with you. It’s a great way to earn extra income and fun incentive trips and support their families doing what they love. Scentsy is a fun, safe, great product and it sells itself. I hope you join the Scentsy team and see what it's all about. Contact me to learn more.

If you would like to know more information please feel free to email me. I would love to have you on my Scentsy team!

Thanks in advance for reading this VERY LONG email.

V/r,
Carol M Vanderhorst
[email protected]
Visit my website for details: https://illumingscent.scentsy.us or https://selfindulgencefonduedip.velata.us

Latest posts

Back