Avon & Scentsy & more? (How much is too much ??)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm sitting here struggling to figure out how to word what I want to say....without sounding like I'm advertising (I'm really not) - and I really have a few decisions I'm trying to make and I'd like to have some input.

As some of you may know - I gave up merchandising (well - I got laid off due to a reduction in force) and am now selling Avon.

I've had a very very small customer base until this weekend. I just had a booth at a craft fair and did about $300 in sales - but received 75 or so leads from people who would like to either buy Avon or get email updates on specials. That is really awesome and I'm so excited because I know once I get my customer base set up - I can do very well and give great customer service.

But while I love Avon (and I do) - I would like to do "more" with my life and work. What I mean by that is - if I have this customer base - why not add a second (and even third?) company where I believe in the products and love them and can provide them to people?

You see - I live in a town of about 36,000 people. We're right on the Mexican border and we don't have a lot here for stores - we have a mall and a Walmart. Folks frequently have to travel to San Antonio (150 miles) to shop for items they can't get here.

One product I love is the Scentsy flameless candles. Robin bought me one for my birthday (a small one with three things of the various scented waxes). All three of us love it - and today I bought three more packages of the scents (had to get another one of mint since I'm almost out).

I was talking to the Scentsy lady - who drove 70 miles to come and do the show because apparently there is no one here who sells Scentsy (actually - there is - and that is another story). She sold over $500 yesterday - and today she sold around $500 again. Mind you - her items were more expensive than mine and more of a "luxury" item.

But people can't find a rep here who will give them good service - the one gal who is on base here - tells folks to go to her website and order directly that way. In other words - she doesn't place orders regularly and take orders or do parties, etc.

In addition - I came in contact with another company where I fell in love with their products. They're called "Thirty-One Gifts" and they sell purses, tote bags, diaper bags, etc. etc. etc. I loved the quality of their bags (you can even get them personalized). The prices might be a bit high to some folks - but still yet - they are different enough that I think they could do well. There are currently three consultants here in town - but two are moving in the next year (military spouses).

By the way - in case you want to see the products - the websites are www.scentsy.com and www.thirtyonegifts.com . The name for Thirty-One came from Proverbs 31 in the Bible - I won't go into all that though.

The final company I'm looking at is Celebrating Home. They used to be known as "Home Interiors" - a company I LOVED and shopped from for years. I'm waiting to get more details on their start-up kit and costs, etc.

I have looked at other companies (in case others suggest them - ie, Longeburger baskets (sp?), Willow House, Mia Bella, etc).

But basically - I want somewhere between two and four NON-COMPETING companies that I'm working with to provide products and services to my customers.

So here was my plan...

• Avon would still be my main business and the one I am "recruiting" in to be a team leader, etc. I love Avon - I love their money-back guarantee and I love their products. Every two weeks my customers will be getting new catalogs as we have new sales (about 1500 items in a book) every two weeks.
  • My other businesses only have "new" catalogs once every 6 months - so my main catalog expense would be a twice a year thing. I would then let my customers know that I offer the following things:
    • Orders placed on the 1st and or 15th of the month on a regular basis
    • Book parties and online parties available so they can earn free products
    • I would be willing to do parties IF they wanted - but that would not be the main focus of my business. The main focus would be on making sure my customers could get items on a monthly basis without having to hunt someone down.
    • Another upside is that each company would allow me to have my own website - some cost a little bit - others are free. This way facebook friends, etc. could order stuff too if they didn't have someone in their area.
    • Each company also has their own fundraising program - so I would have several options to offer organizations that want to do fundraisers.
The start up cost for both Scentsy & Thirty-One Gifts is $99 each. For Scentsy I mainly get the scent samples so people can try them (trust me - I watched both yesterday and today - people will order them to get the scents they want). I'd also get a couple of warmers to show how they work.

For Thirty-One Gifts I get twelve items I could show to others (tote bags, etc). The kit is definitely very nice....I'd love it even for myself.

For Scentsy - to stay active - I need to sell $150 every three months.

For Thirty-One I need to sell $200 every three months. If I miss it - I can sell $300 the following month and be reactivated for free. (oh - and when the season switches over - I can buy the "new rep starter kit" with the new fabrics, etc. for $40 instead of $99).

Here come the questions...

• If you were in a small town....would this be something you'd be interested in? (What products or companies do you like?)
  • Would you like knowing you could order either once or twice a month? (Each company has different specials every month too if I remember right)
  • Would you have less respect for the representative if you knew they sold more for more than one company? Or would that matter at all...especially if they knew their products?
Finally - am I crazy for wanting to do this? I figure if I have a client base of 100 - 200 customers (which is what I'm aiming for) - why not try to use that same client base for three or four companies instead of one company?

Thanks in advance for reading this VERY LONG post.

Avon has awesome stuff, I LOVE it...and I love how they're always adding new products.

As for the others, I say go for it. There's a girl here who sells Gold Canyon Candles and does amazing with it. Of course she has alot of people under her now which helps.

I think you should go for it, you'll never know if you don't try...it's not like it will cost you much, just your start up fee and I would sell sell sell until I made my start up fee back then go from there.

GO FOR IT...you can do anything you want with motivation!

the bags are wonderful! but im getting sidetracked..

im not sure of the demographic in your area - the products of the thirtyone company are not something that one would buy on a regular basis. by it's nature, scentsy would generate repeat sales, as well as word of mouth ones.

it wouldnt bother me if the rep sold for more than one company either - product knowledge and customer service are more important imho.

the website sounds a good idea - im sure many in your area shop on line. they do around here and we are rural.

good luck:D

Thanks so much for the encouragement both of you - I appreciate it.

I am trying to think about the demographics of the area - but we have such a mixture. We have a lot of people here who are Mexican - we have a mixture of people on the base - we have the folks who live in the rural areas - and we have border patrol folks who are stationed here.

We have many different income brackets represented also.

Here is a list of our major employers in town:

http://www.drchamber.com/live_work/employers.html

The more I think about it - especially as I'm building my customer base - the more I lean towards doing it - IF I can get everything organized or at least half-organized.

I'm thinking Scentsy would do great at the craft fairs (not that Avon didn't). I could get side by side booths and have Robin running one and I would run the other one and we could go back and forth.

I guess the reason I want to do Thirty-One is because I want the totes and items that are in the starter kit and I want to be able to buy the updates every 6 months for $40....and I'm thinking that if folks had the catalog and knew an order would go in once a month - I could get the $200 in business every three months pretty easy. The fact that the fabrics change every 6 months helps and also the fact that every month they have different specials. (This month - and I bought two bags myself to do this - they have for $5 the organizer tote when you buy $31 in products. The organizer tote is great for my AVON samples...so I got it - along with two other bags that are great for organization. I forget what next month's special was - but when I saw this months - it was one of those "I really want to order this month to get that...".

Anyway - lots to think about and pray about and talk to Art and Robin about.

The bags are really cool and I would definately order some of them if I lived in the States, LOL

I wonder if they sell them in Canada.
There is ALOT of purse/bagaholics out there, you probably wouldn't do as well as the Avon and Scentsy but I would think it would do decent.

I really want one of those purses though, they are too cute!

Just got off the phone w/ customer service. Thirty-One does not ship to Canada....(but that doesn't mean that I won't once I become a rep).

:D

interesting demographic! i can see where you are coming from with the totes! at the same time, scentsy would appeal to all - they are an affordable luxury. i think the totes may be more appealing to an older customer, whilst the candles etc appeal to all ages (obviously not young children!) candles are always popular at the craft fairs i've been to as well.

:pray:keeping you in my prayers

Just gotta share...I emailed Frank (the Welcome Wagon guy).

I was already going to do my Avon with him for $50 per month (try it at least to see if it works well). He thinks its a great idea - he would normally charge $100 per month for a second business but he'd include both of the other businesses for a total of $75 per month and be handing out all 3 catalogs for me.

Here were his comments to me:

I think your products are well needed in the Del Rio area, and that helps everyone...

Now I'm starting to get psyched.

As soon as I put the money on my debit card...I'm signing up for Scentsy for sure.

A big thanks to Ali for the chat on the phone - and to Zin for her encouragement via. a facebook message.

Now to decide on whether or not to include a third company at some point in time....I really LOVE the totes from Thirty-One Gifts.

Oh well - off to get stuff done.

TinysMom wrote:
Just gotta share...I emailed Frank (the Welcome Wagon guy).
Here were his comments to me:

I think your products are well needed in the Del Rio area, and that helps everyone...

Now to decide on whether or not to include a third company at some point in time....I really LOVE the totes from Thirty-One Gifts.

Oh well - off to get stuff done.

oh go for the totes!!! someone is putting opportunities your way! and you would certainly be covering all customer bases.
what an exciting time for you! good luck:D

I'm not sure about how it works but maybe later on you could maybe host or attend those like um tupperware type parties? Usually a group of women getting together one evening and then a rep shows products and has demos for people to try etc. Would that work? You could probably get a good client base with those and I guess meeting people and such can be enjoyable as well?

Nela wrote:
I'm not sure about how it works but maybe later on you could maybe host or attend those like um tupperware type parties? Usually a group of women getting together one evening and then a rep shows products and has demos for people to try etc. Would that work? You could probably get a good client base with those and I guess meeting people and such can be enjoyable as well?
Great idea! I don't even know if Tupperware is still around (it must be - I just haven't seen products in years).

I will go look that up now.

Just looked on your website, looks great :) If scentsy was here I would most likely get hooked haha. I think especially as you live in smallish town, which is about the size of my "city" haha. But when people don't have access to a wide variety of stuff mail order is often the way to go, because people still get that personal experience and your able to advise them etc on products where as internet is a more risky process, which I personally would love! Yeah Tupperware is crazy cool, expensive but it lasts a life time, literally. We have items of my great Grandmas which are still like new. I wish you the best and hope it takes off for you Peg! :)

If you're looking for another thing to try, my cousin does Send Out Cards. I have a kit from it and it's pretty neat. You choose your cards, write in them, etc. online and the company mails out the cards for you. It's cheaper than getting them from a store and worth it for people that regularly send out cards. They also sell to business.

Pampered Chef is also popular. I got stuff from that company as wedding gifts.

Best of luck! I've never been interested in any of the home selling stuff, but my cousin and her sisters are each very much into several different ones.

Latest posts

Back