Avoiding Sore Hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flirtycuddle

Reaction score
My rabbit came to me in a cage with a wire mesh bottom with a drop pan and now that he is finally litter box trained with just a few stray poops outside the box in different areas of the cage I am wondering if I should remove the mesh.
He is free roam when someone is home which is basically most of the day and caged while no one is here or we are sleeping so not that he spends all day in a cage.
If he is out of his cage for 5 hours or more a day is sore hocks even an issue? I have tried adding a towl and cardboard and wood to the cage to cover some of the mesh and he just hides from it refusing to go near it so that doesn't work.

I think one of the causes of sore hocks is from sitting back on the hocks too much. Sometimes because the nails are too long. Provided that the nails are kept short I don't think it would be a problem. Bunnies can get sore hocks even in a wire/mesh floor cage as well. So I don't think there would be much of a difference. Btw a way to help cure it is use a warm tea bag and hold it to the hock. It will help moisture get back into the area to aid in healing. My mom used to do it for blisters and scabs and I think she said something about achne but that's beside the point lol point is if it works for humans for scabs and such, why not bunnies?

Latest posts

Back