Average price of spaying/neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LV426 wrote:
I find it really sad that while rescues and humane society and even vets will promote spay and neuter they refuse to offer decent prices for such.
If you live in a part of the country where the general cost of living is high, pet spay and neuters will be high, as well. The vets have to pay for their facilities, equipment, staff, etc., and it will cost them more in a more expensive area. Thus, they have to charge more for procedures to cover their overhead. Even if they want to, they can't do speuters at a loss for everyone.

Also, rabbits are still considered "exotics" by most vets. Because they require more specialized training, which costs the doctors more money, the fees to see rabbits will generally be higher.

Around here, speuters can range from $95 to $175, I think. The rescue I volunteer with gets a discount. We get the discount because of volume, and because we promote the vet we use. (They are the best vet around for rabbits, so we don't have any problem recommending them to anyone.) We still pay more than a speuter than our $55 adoption fee. (The only decent shelter around has a vet on staff, and charges $45 for their rabbit adoption fee.) We rely on donations and hay sales to cover the difference. Mostly, we do not offer our discount to individuals, but if someone really needs the help, we will take a rabbit in for speuter on our account.

This makes adopting from us a great deal- The $20 pet store bunny is now costing $100+. Or you can adopt from us for $55, or the shelter for $45.

Hello Daenerys, would you mind sharing what doctor took the Voucher for spaying a bunny? I live in Raleigh and am looking for an experienced rabbit vet, and one that is not too expensive -I need to get my 5 month old bunny spayed very soon but want to make sure that we use a vet who has worked with a lot of bunnys. any help is much appreciated!! Thanks very much, Kathy

If you get a chance, I would love to know this too. Thanks! :happybunny:

Hello Daenerys, would you mind sharing what doctor took the Voucher for spaying a bunny? I live in Raleigh and am looking for an experienced rabbit vet, and one that is not too expensive -I need to get my 5 month old bunny spayed very soon but want to make sure that we use a vet who has worked with a lot of bunnys. any help is much appreciated!! Thanks very much, Kathy

Latest posts

Back