Average cost of spaying a bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey76

Reaction score
I'm not a bun mum yet, but would like to get a pair of dwarf females for outdoor living.

ObviouslyI would get my buns spayed, but would like an idea of the general price of the spay + anaesthetic.

Also, at what age is best to spay?

KC

Welcome to the forum :) good on you for doing your research first.

What country are you in? And what area? Roughly? That would be a useful thing to put in your profile please because it means all advice can be more easily tailored :)

In the UK It can vary greatly depending on the vet. I personally paid £85 for their spays and then pain medication on top of that.

The best age to spay is at the discretion of the vets. Some vets will do it at X weight, some at 4, 5 or 6 months. Mine says six months.

Do you intend to get adults or babies? If you get babies then you stand aa high chance of them needing to live separately as they go through adolescence and then needing to rebond them back after they have recovered from the spays.

Hi, I'm in the Alsace, France.

Although baby rabbits are very cute, I'll probably be looking for "junior" rabbits rather than baby ones - though it does depend on the pet store (no breeders - for pets that is!) in my area. Of course i will ask the pet store how old their bunnies are.

Oh, one thing I should really ask before buying a bunny is... do they get on with chickens? as i have free ranging chickens in the garden! The rabbits will be confined to a secure run attaches to their hutch, but I really wouldn't want the hens to try pecking at them through the wire if at all possible!

Do you have rescue centres over there? I would presume so, although I don't know for sure. You might find that they have pairs there, already spayed/neutered, and you would know exactly what you are getting.

I am not sure if we have many, if any, French members, so my best suggestion would be to call round your area and find good rabbit vets http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15002&forum_id=10 and ask them how much they charge. That would give you a general idea for the expense in your area.

Do they need vaccinations in France?

As for rabbits and chickens, if the rabbits have a secure area then I can't see a problem. You could always use small mesh so the hens can't get much of anything through. the rabbits should adjust. My only concern would be any potential diseases or illnesses that one could infect the other with, but I have absolutely no knowledge on that at all, so can't comment either way.

Casey76 wrote:
Hi, I'm in the Alsace, France.

Oh, one thing I should really ask before buying a bunny is... do they get on with chickens? as i have free ranging chickens in the garden! The rabbits will be confined to a secure run attaches to their hutch, but I really wouldn't want the hens to try pecking at them through the wire if at all possible!
My bunnies were housed in a outdoor pen with ducks durning the winter and they were fine. :)

I have been wondering this myself... I rang my local vet and he said something like $130 (australian dollars).

this has made me more keen on the idea of getting a bunny from a shelter that is already desexed!

Can any aussies tell me what it should cost here for spaying? I think 130 is rather a lot, I wouldn't want to pay that much to be honest. but I imagine there are cheaper places around, I just don't know where!

Latest posts

Back